PDA

View Full Version : Total meltdown at work yesterday - feeling embarrassed

wabbit1
26-03-14, 21:56
Hi all.

Yesterday my boss came into speak to me about something, nothing major just wanted to discuss something. And I just burst into tears and admitted that I wasn't coping very well at the moment. I know I've not been on great form recently but I wasn't expecting that. We did have a chat and he was good but I am so embarrassed about seeing him in work tomorrow, I'm supposed to be a professional.

Part of my issue is that I live on my own and it's a very rural area which I only moved to a few years ago so I don't really have any close friends here to talk to and feel so alone a lot of the time.

What I want is for someone to give me a hug and tell me it's going to be OK but I don't like letting people hug me.

Kev-g
26-03-14, 22:34
Hi wabbit1
No hugs promise, I did something very similar there is nothing to be embarrassed about, it happens, your boss did not say pull yourself together and get on with it so they are understanding, which is a real help as mine has been to me, in my opinion being honest is a good thing

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-14, 05:04
Don't be embarrassed. It can build up to a level where we can't keep it in anymore.

Your boss seems to handled it well, thats a good sign. If your boss is a professional, I would expect he will want a quick chat with you to make sure you are ok and reassure you.

Remember, being a professional doesn't override the fact that you are primarily a human being!

Your boss also has a duty of care to you, your mental health as well as your physical wellbeing so he will be aware that he may need to offer you some extra support or look into whether he can make some adjustments to cut down on any extra stress in the workplace that will add to your issues.

Glaws
27-03-14, 08:58
Oh, I think many of us have been there!! When I had my mahoosive panic attack at work, I was in tears and my boss had to take me home :blush:
My life changed beyond all recognition in just a few weeks, to the point where I couldn't even go in a shop. I decided to go down the medication route so was signed off for a couple of weeks while they took effect. I felt hugely guilty about this as well but work were great and I go back full time next week.
Your boss sounds understanding, lots of people on here have a different tale to tell. Ask for help if you need it. I have used some annual leave to do short days, colleagues are accompanying me to any potentially stressful appointments until my confidence is back. Take care x

Rennie1989
27-03-14, 10:23
Ow gosh, I've broke down out of nowhere at work, at university, college, on the bus, the pub, absolutely blooming everywhere! It sounds like your boss was really sympathetic and he'll want to see you to make sure you're OK.

I was told to think of 'five years' if something embarrassed me. Will he remember in five years time? Very unlikely. Will you remember this in five years? I highly doubt it. Everybody breaks down at work at some point so it won't be remembered, I doubt they will in a few weeks time.

I hope work goes well for you, you'll be fine :)

Rachy-Rach
27-03-14, 10:50
You know you don't have to feel embarrassed. It's good to be honest and show how you're feeling. When you said total breakdown I saw uncontrolled tantrum sobbing and throwing things. I've lost count of the times I've cried at my job and I've only been there since January - that's bad isn't it... I hope that niw they will come up with a plan to support you. That's what my old job did. I told my new job what support I needed. I asked for five minutes every week to look at what I'd done well and what I need to improve on but I haven't had one meeting - hence my practically daily breakdowns before, after and during work! Don't be too hard on yourself. There are plenty of us who love and support you here. I'm desperate to move to the country but can't afford it - fancy a swap? ;-)

wabbit1
27-03-14, 21:53
Thank you. I've cried quite a lot at work recently and thrown things about a bit but that has been in private when no one else is about. This was the first time I've done it in front of someone.

I suppose in some way I do feel better about things now as it feels like a bit of a weight off my shoulders. I've found it easier to concentrate on what I've been doing over the past couple of days. I couldn't concentrate at all, my brain was going at 100 mph.

Antianxiety
27-03-14, 22:12
Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about, unless you go through anxiety or panic yourself you will never know the feeling and how tough it can be!