PDA

View Full Version : My hands are numb!!

sabrez
26-03-14, 22:34
Recently I've been getting this odd sensation - my hands (and sometimes body) suddenly feel numb/cold and I feel faint and dizzy - is this normal for anxiety?

Please help put my mind at ease, it's scaring me! :unsure:

I'm very stressed at the moment due to impending deadlines so I am willing to accept that is why I'm feeling like this.

Lisa.w1979
27-03-14, 00:00
Yes, numb, tingling extremities are a physical symptom of anxiety as is dizziness.

wins829
27-03-14, 00:05
I experience this before. My left arm and left body felt numb.

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-14, 05:51
Yes, it is a sign of anxiety issues. It's very common.

However, if it continues you could ask your GP because it can also be a symptom of blood circulation issues which many people live with under control, my parents included. But it can also be because you are not hydrated or need to eat.

Anxious_gal
27-03-14, 07:43
Your iron or b12 levels might be too low.

Or you're going too long without eating and drinking.

Or you're breathing too rapidly from your chest which causes dizziness and numb hands.

sabrez
27-03-14, 17:42
Thank you everyone! I will take vitamins & iron now to see if that helps. :)

anthrokid
28-03-14, 22:45
Very common with anxiety - it actually sounds like you may be hyperventilating. Hyperventilation or overbreathing causes numbness in the extremities and dizziness. Also, without realising, this is something many anxiety sufferers do, especially in times of stress. Try breathing in for 5-7 seconds and out for 7-9, with 4 seconds inbetween taking a new breath. If you struggle with this, or it makes you feel anxious, it is likely that you've been overbreathing without noticing :) All that means is that you'll need to get your hands on some breathing exercises and practise breathing a little slower and deeper :)