PDA

View Full Version : General anxiety ocd and a slew of others

chunli
27-03-14, 00:42
Im 19 and ive had panic attacks and anxiety for about 1 and a half years.
im grasping at straws right now trying to get rid of OCD( i hear trying to get rid is counterproductive) While battling depression and anxiety just to name a few i think i have. I get very cloudy in my thinking which hurt my completing school about as much as my panic and i dont know who i am because of my foggy thoughts. MY quality of life feels like its at zero and i refused to see therapists and now i regret not taking any and all opportunities

Rennie1989
27-03-14, 08:01
Could you ask to see a therapist?

What I find with OCD is that you have to make yourself aware of when the anxiety hits, how high it goes if the obsession is not satisfied and how it slowly reduces over time. I was taught this by my CBT therapist. She taught me that, yes, the anxiety feels awful if the obsession isn't satisfied but it will reduce over time, and knowing this helps with future anxieties. There's no way of tackling the OCD without experiencing anxiety, but it teaches you that nothing adverse will happen.

It is important to tackle things one by one. I was originally diagnosed with panic disorder, GAD and depression. I got counselling for my panic attacks about seven years ago and and since then my panic attacks reduced and reduced, my last attack was 13 months ago! I can safely say that PD can be written off! My next challenge is the anxiety disorder and I feel I have come leaps and bounds since the CBT last year, but it's still a work in progress. When I feel like I have that under control my depression is next. I did try doing all three in one but you get absolutely nowhere.