PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety has got worse :(

sjane
27-03-14, 11:11
Hi, I've been on Fluoxetine for over a year now for my anxiety and stress. It did improve my symptoms for a while.
Over recent weeks there has been a lot of pressure at work, we aren't doing enough sales and we are very short staffed. Been feeling myself slowly slipping backwards. Last week I had a one to one review with my manager and she told me I am one of the hardest workers, but because sales were down I was put as not performing!
This has literally pushed me over the edge I think.

I have an appointment at the GPs this morning although I feel sick and anxious about going and what to say? What will they say? Its a locum too so that makes me feel worse.

I'm not at work today, but I'm dreading tomorrow, just not coping too well at the moment :weep:

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

Well I have had my dosage upped to 40mg, got to try for 4 weeks. If not then she suggested beta blockers! Yikes.

Tanner40
27-03-14, 11:26
SJane, sometimes work stress can be a catalyst that starts our anxieties spinning in circles. Good for you for recognizing this fact and proactively doing something about it. That type of self recognition is important in the battle against anxiety. You did well.

sjane
04-04-14, 22:45
Well new dosage is making me feel worse, I know its only been 8 days but the side effects are worse than when I started on 20mg.
I was so anxious before work this morning and was shaking and jumpy once there. Couldn't concentrate on my work tasks..

I went back to the doctors and she has signed me off work for 2 weeks due to stress and anxiety. Feel guilty as hell because we are soo short staffed, but my Gp said my health was more important.

TweetyBird2
05-04-14, 03:21
Thanks for the update... this anxiety and jumpiness that seems to be a big side effect for some of us is really awful. You have my utmost sympathy. I'm still trying to deal with it too.
It's almost as if the cure is worse than the illness! The days that the anxiety isn't there, I can feel the medication working..but when the heart thumping is there, it negates all the good it seems. Unbelieveable. There's gotta be a better option.

sjane
05-04-14, 09:34
It isn't fair is it?

I wouldn't have handled work this morning anyway, so glad I've been signed off. The only way I can describe how I'm feeling today is like I have a big interview or meeting (that usual dread we all have). Although my intention is to not do anything but chill.

Slept better last night but I had mad dreams. Dream't my ex was colouring my hair for me, I wasn't happy with the result from my hairdresser so he agreed to do it!!! Was pleased with the result too :ohmy:

Then I dream't that I was at a swimming pool but I was disgusted with how much it was in disrepair and how dirty the water was! It was so vivid. :wacko:

Hopefully the days will get better Tweetybird :)

ReneV
05-04-14, 15:59
I feel like my anxiety has got a lot worse since changing from paroxetine to fluoxetine. Been on them for almost 6-7 weeks now ( 20 mg ) and i dont see any improvement. I'm always noticing/experiencing body symptoms old and new which just keeps me anxious everyday. I dont know if its my medications, my anxiety or something wrong with me. GP's just seem to label everything i tell them to anxiety!!

TweetyBird2
06-04-14, 00:58
Yeah, I can't wait for the day to come when I don't feel jittery or jumpy from this stuff. I never felt like this before taking it ..EVER...nor has it come every single day like it has.
I know I was mouthing off about how the magnesium worked to calm me down, but it's really just turning the volume down on a radio..the anxiety and shakiness are still there underneath. Unbelievable.
I've had very low blood pressure all my life, and am reading that Beta blockers could make that worse as it lowers blood pressure.
I'm on day 36...(6th week) and this jitteriness has been going on since the first week. Lol..maybe I'm not used to my blood pumping so fast! Ha ha..now there's a thought! Maybe I should take up jogging, lol to expend the energy. (ho ho ho)
Keep the updates coming everyone, good or bad, they're encouraging to hear that we're not alone in feeling this way!
xx

theablac
06-04-14, 13:25
HI TWEETYBIRD 2 , Keep reading this site and you will know you are not alone nearly everyone taking fluoxetine has some side effects and they are awful the anxiety and nervousness combined with the shaking make you feel terrible , the side effects that effect your stomach when you start taking the tablets make you feel as though you cannot eat as if you do you get pain or feel sick , Take one day at a time and you will get there soon , 6 weeks is still soon as these tablets can take up to 12 weeks to work properly or so I've been told , You are ill its just that it can't be seen so take things slowly and try to see the side effects as the tablets starting to get into your system and when they are in there fully you will see the good times again . We will all get there soon just at different rates so we can help each other ,xx

sjane
06-04-14, 16:09
I was originally on citalopram, but then switched to fluoxetine last year, from 20mg to 20mg, but didn't have side effects as bad then, just felt a bit hyper.

Since upping to 40mg I've felt awful. Today I feel so spaced out and on a different planet. The bathroom floor seemed to move this morning when I looked down. Went for a walk with partner and just felt odd. Vision is blurred as well.

So glad I'm off work, don't think I could do my job properly today. Can't believe its been 6 weeks for you Tweetybird? Just hope its damn worth it! :)

TweetyBird2
07-04-14, 00:52
@Theablac, thank you for the words of encouragement.... It will help me stick it out!
@Sjane, one bit of encouragement that I could give you is that these 6 weeks have gone by FAST...and I do mean fast.
So it's not like I look back and say "boy, that was a lot of suffering so far"...no, it passed by in a wink of an eye.
Every day I read things about this medication and try different things (like today, I tried taking it in the morning, instead of at night like my doctor had said and I actually think I feel a bit calmer today)....and little by little I'm not getting so worked up about the side effects as I was a while back, suffereing on my own, in ignorance.

I'm also starting to realize that it really is just a spike of adrenaline/ephedephredrine (sp) that is occuring as my brain is dealing with this new chemical and that knowledge alone, has been making me feel calmer and safer.
And to be honest, I do have to say, too, that the jittery feeling isn't quite as scary or intense or as frequent as it had been over the last few weeks. I actually have days where it's either not there, or only lasts a short while.
Sorry for the long post, but I think we all need to hear it'll be worth it when this stuff does it's job for our REAL anxiety and crappy moods.
xxx

sjane
08-04-14, 09:40
I know it works eventually, thats the one thing that keeps me going. I was happy on 20mg for a few months but I'm sure it 'pooped out' or the stress at work became worse.

Its day 12 since I had my increase, fed up of feeling doped, my appetite seems to have vanished and I feel a bit sicky. Sleep was ok although my dreams are still mad! lol. Went on a good walk yesterday, I live by the sea so walking around here is quite therapeutic.

I'm sure we will all get there in the end :) xx

TweetyBird2
10-04-14, 01:01
I just found this on NetDoctor.com.uk and thought it will give some of us going through this right now some peace of mind:

"SSRIs can cause worsening of anxiety right at the start of treatment, even though they are prescribed to treat anxiety.
This only lasts for a brief period and usually settles down. The anxiety then starts to improve. If anxiety does briefly get worse at the start of treatment with an SSRI, this can be a good sign that the depression and anxiety will ultimately respond well to the treatment.
This side-effect can be reduced by starting the SSRI at a lower dose than would normally be used and building it up slowly. "

sjane
10-04-14, 10:04
Thats good to know. I'm sure it will settle down eventually, it did when I was on 20mg.

Been two weeks now, don't feel so doped today, my anxiety seems to kick in when I go outside on my own though. Hope I'm not agoraphobic! Been out walking with my partner, I think he's worried all this anxiety is to do with him, he keeps asking me is it him anyway. I do try to reassure him that its not.

I know they are severely short at work though, theres someone else off sick too so I feel a bit guilty about that.

I'm going to meet up with some friends for a drink later, I know we shouldn't really drink on fluoxetine, so I promise I'll only have a couple :)