PDA

View Full Version : Single manning begins next week - anxiety rising

Rennie1989
27-03-14, 17:20
Hiya guys

I work for a chain of bookmakers and as of next Monday we will be single manning, cashiers will only come in during the busiest period of the day and to allow the manager to do duties that they can't do away from the counter and to have a break. My job role means that I am predominantly a cashier but can do managing shifts as and when I'm needed.

Next Tuesday I am doing my first single manning shift, 4-9.30pm. The idea of sitting in that shop on my own for five and a half hours has not left my mind since getting my rota yesterday. To put it into perspective I am very petite, people think I am under 18 sometimes, how the hell am I going to tackle a situation, like a fight, on my own?? Yes, I can call the police, but it does not stop me feeling terrified. My bus is 13 minutes after close and if I miss that I have to walk 2 miles home or wait for an hour for the next bus, which only cuts the journey by a third anyway.

I really REALLY don't want to do this but:
1) I am not the only one suffering
2) If I don't do it then someone else will have to
3) I will let people down

I really want to talk to my line manager and say that because of my stature, the fact that I am a young woman and suffering from an anxiety disorder I feel that I should not do the single manning, but for the reasons above I'm not so sure. My husband has to do it, he's 6'3 and twice my weight and even he is not looking forward to it.

Just thinking about this now and writing this is making me want to break into tears from worry. OK, I've got a new job lined up, but I have no idea when I start and there is a risk that the checks will not go through. I want out NOW but I'll only be jeopadising the financial situation at home, and my husband will have to bare the brunt and work more evenings alone!

I'm trying to remind myself of the techniques I've learnt and taught myself, thinking 'don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet', 'it may not even happen', 'it will be fine' etc etc. All I can think of are people coming in drunk, fights breaking out, underage causing problems, fraudsters doing me over and, worst case scenario, being robbed in the shop or on my way home. I have not had a panic attack in 13 months and I want to keep it that way, if this job gives me a panic attack I will feel so defeated!

I don't really know what I'm asking for, anybody worked alone in a dangerous environment who can offer a pep talk or advice?

SarahH
27-03-14, 17:33
Oh Ronnie that is a tough one!

I was a police officer so have had to deal with many situations on my own, BUT I was very highly trained and had CS spray, asp and handcuffs so could look after myself.
If you are a bookies are you not behind toughened glass and barriers and have a panic button? If you don't then you should insist that your employers have all this fitted BEFORE you start a shift on your own.

sarah

Rennie1989
27-03-14, 17:37
Sarah - we have bandit screens and a panic button but these buttons are not connected to anything, so they just make a very loud noise. There are procedures being put in place i.e. a buddy system where we call each other every 30 minutes but, to be fair, once one of my bad panic attacks erupt I am on the floor in a ball... I could be worrying about something that won't happen but can't help the worry nonetheless.

SarahH
27-03-14, 17:39
So are you separate from the public?

Rennie1989
27-03-14, 17:45
We work behind a counter on the shop floor which has a locked door and fully protected by bandit screens. My shop does have a safe haven encase of a robbery or violence. Nobody can get behind the counter unless the door is open or unlocked, which is strictly against procedure during shop opening times.

This just puts into perspective how dangerous my job is :/

SarahH
27-03-14, 17:54
OK so you are able to protect yourself if the worst should happen.... BUT it rarely does! However, I have never been to a bookies that didn't have a panic button which went straight through to the police control room!

You should insist on this being put into place.... do you work for a "national" chain?

Rennie1989
27-03-14, 20:00
OK so you are able to protect yourself if the worst should happen.... BUT it rarely does! However, I have never been to a bookies that didn't have a panic button which went straight through to the police control room!

You should insist on this being put into place.... do you work for a "national" chain?

Yes, it is a well known company. The next time I speak to my line manager I will bring it up with him because if we really are in danger, especially on our own, a panic button like that would save time, injury and loss.

ankietyjoe
27-03-14, 20:54
Anxiety aside, I think it's ridiculous that a woman should be manning a betting office alone until late at night.

If that's the way it's going to go, then perhaps it's time for a career change.

At the least I would suggest that you're paid cab fair home for that late shift.

Rennie1989
28-03-14, 11:26
I have a new job lined up but am waiting for my checks to clear before I can even give in my notice.

Unfortunately they won't pay me to get a cab home, this has been asked in the past and the answer has always been no :(

SarahH
28-03-14, 14:16
I think it is just as risky for a male or female working alone.... you should insist on a panic button Rennie.

sarah

I'mdave27
28-03-14, 15:11
I work for ladbrokes ! How strange

Rennie1989
28-03-14, 15:49
I will insist on it when I next speak to my line manager, I want to explain my concerns anyway.

I.won't be disclosing who I work for ;)

I'mdave27
28-03-14, 15:57
I don't think they will listen or even care how you feel to be honest , since when have they listened to staff ? I know when I stated my fears , concerns and that I even had anxiety I was treated as if I am not capable to do the job because let's face it , what else are they think ? They want people who are going to do all these single manning shifts without any worries because they aim is to save money profit comes first i'm afraid

Rennie1989
28-03-14, 16:38
I understand fully why they're implementing it, to save a few percent each quarter. The logic of putting staff in a position in which they feel uncomfortable and at risk to save, let's face it, not a lot is awful. Although one of the licensing objectives is 'to protect children and the vulnerable', so if you don't feel safe at work, thus being vulnerable, that's as breech in their objectives. I feel for you that you have not been taken seriously, I wasn't in the past either.

I just got a phone call that I've been cleared by occupational health for my new job so I'm closer to leaving this pit.