PDA

View Full Version : Beta blockers and asthma

wabbit1
27-03-14, 22:27
I'm finding my anxiety symptoms harder and harder to control. The shaking is getting worse and so are the palpitations. I'm getting nervous about driving because of the shaking and I'm avoiding eating/drinking in front of people as I think they can see the shaking. I know that they doc can prescribe beta blockers for these but my GP said he can't because I am asthmatic. Has anyone else been prescribed beta blockers while asthmatic? My asthma is really well controlled and has never been affected by medication.

The symptoms of anxiety are affecting me more than my asthma ever has.\

I've never had medication for it, apart from self medication with diazepam which I been prescribed for back pain.

nomorepanic
27-03-14, 22:32
Why has he only suggested beta blockers?

Are you doing any self-help things as well?

wabbit1
27-03-14, 22:37
I've had CBT with a mental health nurse which has helped in some ways. I've never really discussed medication with him, that was the only thing he suggested but I avoid going to the docs as I find it difficult to make the appointment as talking on the phone gets me worked up (total catch 22). I've been referred to a psychologist but there is a long waiting list so I feel stuck in limbo.

I think I need to go back and see him again.

Catherine S
27-03-14, 22:43
I wouldn't take beta blockers even if you think your asthma is controlled, your doctor is erring on the side of caution so I think you should too to be honest.

Antianxiety
27-03-14, 22:45
wabbit1, I have been told the same thing about no beta blockers with asthma by my GP. I've heard it makes breathing a bit more difficult. I don't have all of the details but have appointment with doc tomorrow and will bring it up again.

Pipkin
27-03-14, 23:03
I have asthma, like you well controlled, and have taken beta blockers for years (the first time over 20 years ago). I've never had any reaction to them but I've always been cautious and started on a very low dose and increased gradually. My GP is ok prescribing them as he knows I'll be careful and not suddenly increase my dose.

It's true though that it's not advised. In lowering adrenalin levels, beta blockers can cause constriction in the smooth muscles in your airways - the exact opposite action to reliever inhalers. A main point to consider is that if you do get a reaction to beta blockers, your reliever won't work as well.

My thoughts are that you have to discuss this with your GP and weigh up the benefits against the risks.

Pip

MyNameIsTerry
28-03-14, 02:32
I would expect you would need to attend a regular asthma clinic if you did go on them.

Discuss other medication. The norm is SSRI/SRNIs and they dont interact with asthma.

I would definately suggest Mindfulness meditation here. It is useful in breath control so would assist any asthma sufferer. It helps you to see symptoms as just that.

I have asthma and found it could help with other breathing & muscular issues such as tense core or chest.