PDA

View Full Version : What kind of therapy

Humly
28-03-14, 12:02
After my meltdown at the docs and at home last night, I have starting thinking seriously about whether I should ask for some therapy, ie talking to somebody about my anxiety. The main problem is that as soon as I start talking about it I just start crying and cant get any words out. I was even like that at home all last night when I was trying to talk to my husband. I dont fancy going somewhere and crying for an hour then coming home.

Is there any sort of on line therapy anybody could suggest. I have all the cbt books downloaded Robin Hall via this website but I do not suffer from panic attacks which is what they are mainly aimed at. Thanks.

Annie0904
28-03-14, 12:12
I have been to counselling sessions before and sat and cried for most of it but by continuing to go it was very beneficial to me. Don't worry, they are used to people crying :) It is good to get a release of the emotions any way.

Ryan92
28-03-14, 12:42
Hi Humly, I know it can be difficult (Ive been through it) but its best to see and talk to a therapist. Its good to let out all your emotions and feelings by crying, we're all human after all :) and of course, letting out our feelings is much healthier for us than keeping it in but I know how it feels to worry about crying as it can then make us feel more anxious or down.

I personally found it better to talk to someone as they can understand you and you can interact with each other but Im sure if you talked to your doctor they could see what options are available for you :)

Hope you get the help you need :D

Humly
28-03-14, 15:46
I cant even talk to my family and friends about all this and the thought of talking to a stranger fills me with horror. I dont know if I can do it. I've been looking at some counsellors near where I live and they cost a fortune - £40 plus a session!

debs71
28-03-14, 17:32
I have been to counselling sessions before and sat and cried for most of it but by continuing to go it was very beneficial to me. Don't worry, they are used to people crying :) It is good to get a release of the emotions any way.

I totally agree, Annie.

Please do not be discouraged by worrying about being upset.

That is the purpose of counseling/therapy. It is a release in whatever way you need at that given time, be it talking or crying.

At my first session of counseling, my counselor told me that I must never feel I have to do ANYTHING at a session. She said that if I want to just cry or rant or talk about myself, my life, things that I need to talk about or whatever, that was perfectly fine. Even sit in silence for the whole hour!

Nobody judges you. Nobody has an expectation. It is purely how you feel, and they are there to listen and give input as required.

I do understand how you feel about talking to a stranger too. I was the exact same. My GP insisted I attend counseling sessions, and I thought there is no way I could talk to someone I didn't know from Adam, but in actuality it was a blessing as you are able to let everything out to someone who has no agenda in your life, no back history, and only the present time and situation to offer their support with.

I do understand about therapy costs. I was lucky as I got mine through MIND via my GP. There are some counselors who offer less extortionate rates though, although a bit thin on the ground.

I also did just the thing that you are worried about during my first session. I burst into tears within minutes of my counselor just saying ' So, how are you doing today?' It was like a flood of stress and emotion just burst out, and this is exactly what is needed with therapy, and is all part of the recovery process/addressing of things.

Please don't be worried about that.xx:hugs:

Humly
28-03-14, 18:13
Well I will have to do something because I cannot carry on feeling like this. I let out a lot of emotion at home last night as I couldnt stop crying so at least my family know whats going on now. Been looking for online courses as well.

Ryan92
28-03-14, 18:23
I cant even talk to my family and friends about all this and the thought of talking to a stranger fills me with horror. I dont know if I can do it. I've been looking at some counsellors near where I live and they cost a fortune - £40 plus a session!

Hi Humly, Sorry if I upset you :weep: Im not 100% sure but maybe you could have a chat with your doctor and be referred to a consultant who will decide what therapy etc is best for you :). When I was referred to a therapist it was free for me. Are you thinking of having private health care ? I went with the nhs so it was free but I was on a waiting list (of course) :doh:

Sorry if this is not much help :doh:

harasgenster
28-03-14, 18:27
Physical therapy - with a person there - will be more effective, so it's worth going on the waiting list (you'll wait around 18 months anyway). In the meantime there is www.moodgym.anu.edu.au and www.llttf.co.uk, which are both free CBT courses.

The first therapy you will be offered on the NHS is CBT. This is evidence-based and is enough for most people, but some people aren't suited to it (I wasn't, although it did help my symptoms greatly, just didn't attack the root cause). If this is the case, you must speak up as there is other therapy available on the NHS for problems that CBT is not suited to.

Good luck!

Humly
28-03-14, 19:10
RJI92 you didnt upset me at all. I am grateful for any advice and comments.

Thanks to everyone who replies. It really means so much to me.

I will have a look at those free cbt courses because as mentioned, even if i do get referred on the nhs I know there will be a waiting list.