PDA

View Full Version : Advice, please!

jab1982
28-03-14, 17:31
This past few weeks have been particularly difficult. I know the triggers to my HA and I know the events that led to the constant worry that I have cancer. I am proud that I have pin pointed these issues. Now I am really trying to get past running to the doctor for everything. This is my first experience not believing the doctor. Lately it has been a small, hard lymphnode behind my ear. The little bugger just won't go away but then again.....I won't stop touching! :blush:

The doctor told me not to worry when he felt it two weeks ago. I have continued to worry. I called two days ago to say the lymph was still up. Once again, he assured if I felt fine and there were no changes I did not need to worry. I exercise, have tons of hobbies, have a busy job, a wonderful husband. But I am looking for ways to accept and move past this feeling rather than distraction. Please tell me what you guys do? Any mantras or mottos?

I appreciate your suggestions!

MarkJames3
28-03-14, 18:08
Hi Jab,

Firstly I have had a hard node behind my ear probably a couple of mm big for the past 3 years… when I first found it, i didn't stop playing with it and prodding it… even now sometimes when it plays on my mind i still prod it.

I can feel it very well and it seems prominent, however most people can't even feel it… I have and countless docs look at it and they have all said its fine… :)

I am still here

As for your main question… I struggle with this too… If i have an internal pain, I go to the docs and he says its nothing, i forget about it and it generally goes… however if the symptom is something physical that I can see or feel and it doesn't go away even after the doc says it is nothing… I really struggle accepting what they say… I would love suggestions too :)

jab1982
28-03-14, 18:13
The crazy lumps and bumps, huh? The physical stuff that is tangible is hardest for me too. It's nice to know we are not the only ones. I am great with distraction but I really want to start facing this fear and moving past it. It is starting to get in the way of the happy things in my life and I am just not willing to let that happen. Hopefully some veterans who are further along in their recovery will clue us in on some of their coping mechanisms! :D

MarkJames3
28-03-14, 18:47
The crazy thing for me is…

I have a lump in the bottom of my mouth, found it a couple of years ago and went to dentist in a panic, she assured me she wasn't worried about it in the slightest… i walked away happy… its still there now… but I never think or worry about it.

fast forward to this year, i find a lump in the roof of my mouth, docs and dentists say they are not worried in the slightest but I just can't let it go.

work that out haha!

jab1982
28-03-14, 19:41
Haha! Thank you for that!

I had a swollen lymphnode on the back of my head for a couple of weeks back in August. I poked a little and the forgot about it. But I can't let this one go! The brain is truly a weird beast. Obviously the anxiety isn't going to disappear but being able to recognize the rational is a good thing.

Anything good going on in your life today?

Jonesle
28-03-14, 21:14
My anxiety on a lump/spot only goes when I find another one to worry about :( not good. Exhausted with it! Would love some tips too... X