PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks whilst trying to sleep. Tips?

LiveAboveIt
28-03-14, 18:02
I'm stuck in an "anxiety loop" of having anticipatory anxiety OVER having anxiety, so I'm in a constant state 24/7. Working on accepting the obsessive thoughts/physical symptoms of anxiety, so I can move past this.

But it seems like at the end of the night, when I lay down to go to sleep, I lose all control. I'm clearly not having the correct thought process, because the way I respond to my thoughts caused pretty bad panic last night and I didn't get much sleep.

Is there a correct thought process or way to approach laying down/sleeping that helps you manage or eliminate anxiety? It's the worry of the anxiety that seems to keep it fueled, for me.

And my main symptom is that it feels difficult to breathe when I lay down, I'm assuming because I'm super sensitive and hyperfocused on my body, so I can feel pressure against every muscle and movement.

Thanks in advance. :)

Annie0904
28-03-14, 19:52
I have a sounds pillow (pillow with speaker in so you can play music through MP3) I have relaxing music and I really concentrate on the music. It helps me to relax enough to sleep.

PanchoGoz
28-03-14, 20:33
I have a flashcard down the side of the mattress which I try to remember to look at if I get in a night panic - as I can't think rationally what to do when so exhausted. I also have Claire Weekes under my bed and I occasionally go to sleep with it in my hand.
Play mind games like naming things along the alphabet to keep distracted. Try to focus on any sleepy or relaxing feelings in your body and stay focussed on it, trying to make it grow around your body.

ray52
28-03-14, 20:51
Hi I try to read in bed sitting up till im really to tired to read any more with the thought if I don't sleep I will have a lazy day tomorrow, if its a work day in the morning tell yourself if your not up to it you wont go in. I find if I make this an option and believe it, it takes some off the pressure to have to get some sleep. In general I end up getting enough sleep to go to work and that leaves me the option not to go in still open for other night, can say this always works for me but it has helped

I don't know if this is would work for you its just my way.

Hope find something that works for you.

Catherine84
31-03-14, 04:44
I echo what Annie says about the music - I find that this helps me a lot. Especially classical music (at the moment I am listening to 'Moonlight Sonata') and relaxation CDs. I have one that is called 'Tranquility' and contains sounds of the sea. There's nothing quite as soothing as hearing the gentle sounds of the waves lapping against the shore.

Also, have you tried scented products? Like putting something lavender-scented on your pillow? I like to take a nice, hot bath with something like lavender or chamomile, and this helps me feel sleepy enough to drop off fairly quickly after my head hits the pillow.

Also, a very strongly-brewed cup of Clipper 'Night Time Infusion' tea, just as I'm getting under the duvet, works wonders for me.

I can totally relate to the breathing anxiety - I get it too. I hope you manage to find a solution :hugs:.

Catherine x

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 05:18
It sounds like you need a good sleep routine.

This does mean finding something that works for you but try each one out and see what happens. At the worst, it will just be the same.

I agree with Ray. I never used to read in bed but I do nowadays. I find it distracts my mind because it is being pulled into a fictional story. Just don't read any self help books...go for something that is not connected to your life and try to visualise.

Reading and especially visualising requires concentration which will pull you away from being anxious. I've heard you can't be anxious whilst juggling, presumably because of the focus it requires.

You could try Mindfulness meditation as I mentioned on your other thread. Try progressive muscle relaxation, try visualisation CD's, they can all make you sleepy from concentrating.

You got it right about your symptoms. Something to thing about is posture because if you are scrunched up in bed it will contrict your airways and affect your ability to breath properly which you are bound to notice as your anxiety will start shouting about it in your head!

GingerFish
15-05-14, 15:28
I have been getting panic attacks while trying to sleep too. I get a horrible spacey and detacthed feeling too when I get them before bed. It really creeps me out. I usually just go on my phone and play a game to the point I can't physically keep my eyes open any more. That's the only thing that works to take my mind off that horrible feeling. I tried to just lie there and deal with it but it just made me feel more creeped out and spacey and kinda like other peoples thoughts were in my head. I never get like that with a panic during the day, just when I'm trying to sleep. Maybe its the effects of half drifting while having a panic.