PDA

View Full Version : Painkillers containing caffeine - Just don't do it.

ankietyjoe
28-03-14, 18:24
I took a couple of extra strength painkillers last night as I had a bit of a migraine. I didn't realise at the time, but each pill contained 45mg of poxy caffeine.

To put it in perspective that's about the same as a large strong espresso, 2 cans of coke or one can of Red Bull.

Last night I had the worst night of stabbing stomach adrenaline/anxiety rushes I think I've ever had. I had no idea what it was at the time, but then realised that the painkillers I took weren't the normal ones so I read the label.

I wish they'd label these things more clearly :mad:

I had no idea just how much caffeine they contained.

SarahH
28-03-14, 18:28
Oh how right you are........ haven't taken a painkiller with caffeine for 10 years:D

Lisa.w1979
28-03-14, 18:59
I went to stay at my sisters as we were going to chessington world of adventures, got a headache and she gave me paracetamol. Little did i know they had caffeine in them. Lets just say i had a bad adventure that day!!

ankietyjoe
28-03-14, 20:15
It was awful

Not at all the same as drinking a coffee.

I guess it's a combination of it being a relatively high dose of caffeine perhaps combined with it getting into my bloodstream differently because it was in pill form.

I've also just read that each tablet contains the same amount of caffeine as a Pro Plus pill.

Grrrrrrrr.

MyNameIsTerry
29-03-14, 00:23
Its because it aimed at a faster intake of the painkiller.

Anything like that could have a bad effect on an anxiety sufferer such as Guarana.

teej
29-03-14, 09:47
My mistake when I'm feeling "better" is to get tempted by the filter coffee at work. It's always a slippery slope. My intake gets higher and higher and before I know it. Bam. Anxiety time.

aprilmoon
29-03-14, 10:34
Hi I love my cups of tea,I even take my meds with it! How many cups a day do you think is too much? I've never really thought about it till now.

ankietyjoe
29-03-14, 11:54
I've had the odd cup of weak coffee or coke over the last couple of years and although I can feel the effects of the caffeine it never really troubled me that much.

With the caffeine in pain pills however, I think it's the amount of concentrated delivery that was the problem.

I started feeling shaky after about 30 minutes, and then spent the entire night with massive waves of that burning adrenalin/anxiety churn you can get in your stomach.

I guess if I'd necked a couple of strong coffees or red bull before bed I might have experienced the same thing.

Rennie1989
29-03-14, 12:00
Caffeine is actually meant to help migraines, but if it's affect on your anxiety outweighs the benefits then obviously it's not worth it. Caffeine is also a benefit if you have a cold which is making you tired because it gives you a boost in energy to work.

Aprilmoon - it depends on the individual. Four cups of coffee on a good day can be my tipping point, whilst one on a bad day will do it.

ankietyjoe
29-03-14, 12:02
Before I used to suffer from anxiety a coffee and an aspirin was my go to remedy for migraines.

I actually gave up caffeine totally about 3 years ago, and don't miss it at all.

I think in this case it's a case of 'buyer beware' as I didn't realise just how much these pills contained and having zero tolerance for it any more as I really don't have any at all, it's kinda my own fault for not knowing what I was using :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
30-03-14, 02:43
I think you are right there.

Also, I've noticed in SSRI instructions they say to avoid caffeine like Guarana. This was some time ago so it would have been Citalopram. I cant be fully sure whether it was the instructions or in researching it, so its probably worth checking out.

Buy some caffeine pills over the counter and you will find yourself with the shakes. Its harmless as a side effect but with anxiety its obviously going to be more intense and then anxiety likes to connect the dots betwden physical sensations to you believe its a bad thing.