PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Deaths Notices

Mell1988
28-07-04, 09:21
This sounds terrible, but is it "normal" for anxiety/depression sufferers to read things like the deaths announcements in newspapers ?

I have no idea why I do this but for some reason I seem to do it (I also tend to read the other announcements as well).

Why would I be concerned at other people's lives so much ? I can't figure out whether it's no big deal or whether it's something I should be concerned about.

It's not as if I get any kind of pleasure from doing it, sometimes it makes me feel sad particularly if someone was young when they died and I start wondering all sorts of things like "I wonder if they were ill" or "Was it an accident".

Hmm. Does this sound familiar to anyone ?

kate
28-07-04, 09:56
Hi Mel,

Urmm, yes, I also do this, and always have done.

Don't know exactly why I do it, but I know that a lot of non panickers do it as well.[:I]

Kate x

Meg
28-07-04, 14:53
I went through a stage of this too and got upset when it was just a lawyers note and no family announcements.

Then I went through a stage of just looking at the births .. for me that was more worrying - I thought I might be getting broody - but it passed !

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Caz Fab Pants
28-07-04, 15:21
I think this is a perfectly normal thing to do and is down to morbid curiousity pure and simple.

I do it too although not recently as I've been too busy to pick up a paper (summer hol's and all that!)

It's a bit like rubber necking when you drive past a road accident, you just cant help but look. Whether it's a quick glance or a good long double take, we all do it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless of course your dwelling on the stuff you read throughout the day.

Caroline :)
x

nomorepanic
28-07-04, 15:40
Mel

I sometimes read them to see if there is anyone I know that has died.

I think the reason behind this is that when my dad died (10 years ago now), a few old (as in not seen for years) friends came to the funeral after reading about it in the paper and I thought that was nice so i do see if there are any old mates that may appreciate me turning up too.

I don't do it to excess though - just occasionally.

Don't worry to much and like Caz says, we sometimes do it out of curiosity

Nicola

HB
28-07-04, 15:44
Yeah I also do this, it might seem quite morbid to outsiders but someimes I just feel interested. Dont worry!!

H

Mell1988
28-07-04, 15:52
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies - must admit I feel better about it now - certainly alot less concerned than I was.

Thank you again!

Hope you are all feeling well. I have been ok for the last week or two, certainly feeling more human again but started to feel a bit down again today so I am trying to pull myself out of it before I head into that downward spiral. Made an appt to see my counsellor again next week and am going to try and arrange a game of squash.

Need to desperately get more fit again but find it hard when my 2 year old son is deciding to wake up at 5am every day convinced that it's morning time and wants to play....yawn...

stimpy
01-08-04, 03:58
Nothing like reading the Hatches, Matches and Dispatches is there.

I think at one time or another everyone has done it.
Infact an aunt of mine still does it. She reads the notices before the front page.

I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

HB
09-08-04, 15:35
So glad you are feeling better!!!

H

jollywalrus
16-08-04, 07:41
Funnily enough, I always used to read who had got engaged, then married. Then I was interested in who had given birth. Now I look to see who has died!
It's something my family has always done, a bit like a tradition. I think we must just be nosy!

Christine