PDA

View Full Version : Asthmatic fears?

kitkat96
28-03-14, 22:01
I havn't posted on this site for a while now, since my anxiety's been managable and pretty much under control again :)
However, recently the panic's starting to creep back....this time I'm worrying about being asthmatic :unsure:
My sister got an inhaler a little while back because she had a bit of a reaction to a perfume spray, and the doc thought it'd be a good idea for her to have one just in case it happened again (although she hasn't been diagnosed with asthma).
Now I get really worried whenever people spray deodrants or when I smell strong perfume.....I'm just terrified of not being able to breathe :wacko:
My fears are kinda compounded by the fact that I can get a bit out of breath easily, even though I'm only young :-/
Any advice on how to stop worrying again would be greatly appreciated :hugs:
Kitkat96

LunaLiuna
28-03-14, 22:46
Asthma is very easily treatable, I recovered from it years ago :)

Fishmanpa
28-03-14, 23:15
The way to quell your fears is to see your doctor. They can diagnose if you're suffering from it and it's easily treatable.

Positive thoughts

Serenity1990
28-03-14, 23:57
My mum had awful asthma before the invention of inhalers. Hers was cured by a homeopath. These days there are inhalers and other excellent treatments, asthma is really not the worst thing in the world!

If you're going to have health anxiety at least pick something worth worrying about! (Sorry, bad taste...)

MyNameIsTerry
29-03-14, 00:45
That doctor sounds very strange to me because inhalers have use by dates on them and your friend would need to keep requesting new ones.

Asthma is not curable. It is treatable though. Ive had it for over 25 years and the only time I have problems is when colds progress to chest infections. Asthma can also be chronic needing greater treatment. Its extremely common these days to be developed as a child, its one of the modern health epidemics like obesity.

Other health factors impact on asthm like anything else e.g. obesity, not keeping fit, etc. Ic you stay healthy and get regular exercise, you will see your asthma improve. I went for years without medication.

Its a health & safety thing about sprays. I have never had a problem with sprays or perfumes but I have mild asthma. A chronic sufferer could be affected...but running up stairs could as well if its chronic!

Many asthma sufferers even smoke. Its definately not advisable though.

If you are concerned about this, doctors in th UK no longer use the exercise induced asthma test, they will check your peak flow by blowing into a peak flow monitor. This shows what range you fall into. From there they will rule out other breathing issues.

Its nothing to worry about. Mine was checked recently and my GAD has had no impact on it.

Leslie735
29-03-14, 02:38
I have asthma and mine is allergy induced. I get wheezy from time to time and have to use my inhaler. I've had it for about 10 years now, diagnosed when I was 19 and I'm 29 now. I just make sure I have my inhaler on me at all times, especially if I'm somewhere with animals (my worst offender).