PDA

View Full Version : A horrible day - urgent please

Alen
29-03-14, 07:08
Hi

Yesterday was an appalling day for me in the evening say 1700 onwards.

I had a massive continuous event with anxiety.

I have to beat this today with positiveity and will power alone. My wife said our whole lives together are ruined and she cant take anymore. She knows this is not deliberate but says I can beat it now! myself.
Can I do it today otherwise everything is going to collapse.

Anyone think the Inderol propronalol might haved caused this , took 40mg am 40mg just before the big attack. Had been told to take 40 only after breakfast?

Annie0904
29-03-14, 08:29
So are you saying you took an extra dose? You should only take what you have been prescribed otherwise yes it could affect your mood more.

teej
29-03-14, 09:23
Too much propranolol will definitely have some very unpleasant effects I'd imagine. Perhaps this created a cumulative effect on the anxiety attack?

aprilmoon
29-03-14, 09:37
Hi

Yesterday was an appalling day for me in the evening say 1700 onwards.

I had a massive continuous event with anxiety.

I have to beat this today with positiveity and will power alone. My wife said our whole lives together are ruined and she cant take anymore. She knows this is not deliberate but says I can beat it now! myself.
Can I do it today otherwise everything is going to collapse.

Anyone think the Inderol propronalol might haved caused this , took 40mg am 40mg just before the big attack. Had been told to take 40 only after breakfast?

Hi, I think it deffo was taking the tabs that did it. That could have been dangerous.
Good luck for today

Rennie1989
29-03-14, 11:24
Have you explained to your wife exactly what anxiety is and how it affects you? Are you getting any sort of help other than medication i.e. relaxation, CBT, counselling, self-help?

Alen
29-03-14, 12:51
Hi thx all wont take that extra one again

No help here down to me Im in Portugal

Ill be ok, doing my deep breathing really helps though its hard to master :-)
my wifew is right I have to face up whatever you do and its really important to realise that. I dont like taking drugs one bit and will avoid as much as poss.

I can do this they are just feelings for Gods sake

ninnie
29-03-14, 13:07
Hi alen
please dont see drugs as the enemy.
A lot of people would not be here if it werent for medication. Me for one.
also, please dont be so hard on yourself.
anxiety is a real condition, not something you choose to have and can just shake off.:)

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Sorry dont want to put a dampner on your positive slant on things, but I am concerned that you will only get better once you, and your wife realise that anxiety and panic attacks are not just something you can think your way out of. You need compassion, support and ideally some professional help. Give yourself a hug.:bighug1:

Alen
29-03-14, 14:04
Thanks for your opinion - not constructive - I think its perfectly possible to win here - thats your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I dont have the option, Im very strong really - I remember I got into a mess like this 25 years ago and not a blip since.

aprilmoon
29-03-14, 14:28
Hi Alex
Propranelol taken intermittently might actually make you feel worse than an anti anxiety med that slow releases into your system.Just a thought.

ninnie
29-03-14, 16:16
Ouch!

Humly
29-03-14, 16:51
Go for it Alen. Good luck.

Catherine S
29-03-14, 18:39
I take propranolol and find it calms the anxiety rather than makes it worse...its a beta blocker and does what it says on the tin, it blocks adrenaline so has a calming effect. Taking 80mgs instead of 40 would make me sleepy rather than give me extra anxiety as this can be pescribd up to 200mgs or more. Also, unlike other prescribed anti-anxiety drugs, it can be taken as and when needed by non-anxious ppl in situations like flying or making a speech to calm nerves. I'm surprised if it was an extra dose of propranolol that gave you such a bad time to be honest. It does have some side affects but anxiety usually isn't one of them!

ninnie
29-03-14, 22:05
I take propranolol and find it calms the anxiety rather than makes it worse...its a bet blocker and does what it says on he tin, it blocks adrenaline so has a calming effect. Taking 80mgs instead of 40 would make me sleepy rather than give me extra anxiety as this can be pescribd up to 200mgs or more. Also, unlike other prescribed ant-anxiety drugs, it can be taken as and when needed by non-anxious ppl in situations like flying or making a speech to calm nerves. I'm surprised if it was an extra dose of propranolol that gave you such a bad time to be honest. It does have some side affects but anxiety usually isn't one of them!

I agree. I was given propranolol about 20 years ago after losing my grandmother and I used to take a double dose, as recommended by my gp, to sedate me if I was having a really bad panic attack. They bring your heart rate down.

MyNameIsTerry
30-03-14, 06:43
Alen, even if you want to do this alone, use this forum for advice and just go from there. You could do online CBT courses, Mindfulness Meditation, etc and you won't need others for that if you are not comfortable with it.

Rennie1989
30-03-14, 11:18
anxiety and panic attacks are not just something you can think your way out of.

Therapy actually teaches us to think ourselves out of anxiety. One theory or cause of anxiety is negative learnt behaviour i.e. 'I will always feel like this' 'The symptoms will hurt me.' and one of the ways to begin recovering from anxiety is changing our thinking. It took me a long time to begin believing that my panic attacks and the symptoms would not hurt me, which resulted in eliminating my panic attacks all together. I agree that professional help helps to push us in the right direction and can help us understand ourselves or illnesses better, but as long as you THINK the right way then you're doing the right thing.

ninnie
30-03-14, 22:57
Therapy actually teaches us to think ourselves out of anxiety. One theory or cause of anxiety is negative learnt behaviour i.e. 'I will always feel like this' 'The symptoms will hurt me.' and one of the ways to begin recovering from anxiety is changing our thinking. It took me a long time to begin believing that my panic attacks and the symptoms would not hurt me, which resulted in eliminating my panic attacks all together. I agree that professional help helps to push us in the right direction and can help us understand ourselves or illnesses better, but as long as you THINK the right way then you're doing the right thing.

Hmmmmmmm, it's certainly a theory. However, it's also a fact that we are not all lucky enough to be able to get better without medication and professional help.

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 01:42
It perhaps depends on the anxiety disorder in question. For instance, I've just read an interesting article on Pure O posted by Clarisse where the sufferer had all thought analysis & thought changing therapy but they were unsuccessful and exposure is helping her out of it.