PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or not

dan76
29-03-14, 11:57
I am 37 year old male and I have been struggling with my health starting back from around summer 2010. Until that I was happy, sociable, rarely even had a flu. Let's mention also that I have NOT been kind of person getting worried or stressed over things - smaller or greater. At least that's how I have felt and that's what my friends would have said. There is a saying in Finnish language: have nerves of a cow. That's me or at least that's who I was.

I tend to describe my symptoms as physical:
o I feel fatigued and light headed (feeling like fainting in any moment if standing up),
o My mind seems to be in a thick fog,
o My heart beats strangely - extra beats and usually slow rate 50-60

As you can imagine I have been thoroughly tested during past 3-4 years and nothing remarkable has been found. Around summer 2011 after one year of struggle I started my first SSRI medication (20mg citalopram) but didn't really feel the effect. I was not so fond of this solution because I was certain the problem was not in my head. I also had 1-2 months of treatment with clonazepam, which seemed to help a bit, but didn't cure me. As soon as i stopped taking it I went back to where I started.

Then in October 2011 I got possible diagnosis of hypothyroidism nad started a medication for that. It seemed to improve my condition so that I could manage the daily things and live somewhat normal live. But it wasn't the cure. I continued taking citalopram too until March 2013 when I decided to drop it. Didn't feel much, maybe my head cleared a bit.

Then starting from last summer (2013) I have gone downhill. Last 6 months have been a struggle again. I have had medical check-up again and nothing seems to be wrong, but I feel awful. I talked to GP about possible anxiety and he referred me to a psychiatrist. But the conclusion was that I may have some anxiety like symptoms, but didn't give me any diagnosis. Just gave me oxazepam to take if it gets really bad.

After that it has gotten really bed. I hardly can function. My head feels dizzy and I am unable to concentrate. All the time. Only thing that seems help a bit is oxazepam. So, I told this to my GP and he agreed with me to start SSRI medication again. Yesterday I started with venlafaxine 75mg.

Don't know what to think of this. I am not really convinced that this is anxiety causing all this, because I don't really feel any irrational fears or strange thoughts. But I take this as a last straw and see where it gets me...

aprilmoon
29-03-14, 13:28
Hi Dan 76,
I just joined up here yesterday,the people on here are lovely.I've just read your post and I'm sorry you're having all this.It does sound like anxiety though.I'm having treatment for depression and anxiety and have just started a new combo.I'm on venlafaxine as well.It takes time to start working though.

SarahH
29-03-14, 13:36
Welcome dan and April..... yes medication takes time.... be kind to yourselves:)

dan76
29-03-14, 14:00
Thanks April and Sarah.

April, how long did it take for you with venlafaxine to see some effect?

aprilmoon
29-03-14, 14:19
Hi Sarah,
I've been on venlafaxine for a while now,but have just gone onto mirtazapine at night after being very depressed and anxious.Im 2 weeks on Tues at 15ml then onto 30ml if needed.still getting used to them but really hope they help me.Its been the worst depression of my life and I'm ready to get my life back.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

Hi Dan,
It was quite a while ago so I don't really remember I'm sorry,but I would say at least a couple of weeks.Have you just gone on them?

dan76
29-03-14, 15:14
Hi Sarah,
It was quite a while ago so I don't really remember I'm sorry,but I would say at least a couple of weeks.Have you just gone on them?Yes, my 2nd day today. Seems I cannot control my symptoms with the small amount of oxazepam as I have been before. Just took an additional oxazepam pill and waiting to see what happens.

aprilmoon
29-03-14, 16:28
I feel awful today and I don't know if its the reduction of venlafaxine since I've gone on the night time mirtazapine.

dan76
29-03-14, 16:56
Sorry to hear that you too are not enjoying today. Here is has been really nice sunny day, but I couldn't have care less. Normally I should have been out walking and looking the nature to wake up after winter. But not today.

It seems that the additional oxazepam helped a bit. Something positive for this day...

Btw, why did you go from venlafaxine to this combo?

MRS STRESS ED
29-03-14, 17:27
Hi dan just like to welcome you ,your sure to find help and support here x

aprilmoon
29-03-14, 17:41
The venlafaxine was increased to 225mg daily but wasn't working anymore.They don't know why.That's when he made the changes.