PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty in accepting a diagnosis

claireypoo
29-03-14, 19:48
I was diagnosed with GORD (GERD) with 'probably a small hiatus hernia' on Friday and apparently it is to blame for all my digestive problems, (right sided rib cage pain, back pain, shoulder pain, burping, burning in back and breastbone, odd stools etc) , but because the doctor didn't do a gastroscopy to make the diagnosis, I am finding it hard to believe him. (I have trust issues with Doctors following some negligence.)

My symptoms do fit, mostly, with what I have read, although I get 90 percent of the pain in between my shoulder blades and my upper back and I burp a lot. The doctor seemed convinced I had nothing 'sinister' going on but I am finding it so hard to accept that. This reminds me of when I was first diagnosed with anxiety (took me a year to believe that!)

Can anyone relate? Any tricks to help acceptance?

XClaire:lac:

Worriedwellornot
29-03-14, 20:59
I thought you were going to have the endoscopy? What happened? X x

claireypoo
29-03-14, 22:20
Hi, I saw a consultant gastroenterologist who said I didn't need it as I had no red flag symptoms. I was all geared up to have it, although I was terrified! If my symptoms don't resolve in a month with new meds, I have to have it then. x

Fishmanpa
29-03-14, 22:33
Tricks to acceptance?

I don't think there really are any tricks Claireypoo...

I guess it comes down to trust. Do you trust a human being who went to school for 8+ years, treated hundreds if not thousands of patients in his career of a search engine? Even the search engine has given you a 90% confirmation... what more can you ask for?

I can tell you this... earlier this week, I had my ENT say "it's cancer until we prove otherwise"... Talk about Sh(*&% bricks! Then a call saying the CT was "unremarkable" ~Whew~ I also read the report from the doctor that read the CT as well as the head of the department who verified it.

So I had experts in medicine tell me I'm Ok... I grabbed onto that with both hands! I would grab onto your doctor's diagnosis with both hands in light that what you suffer from is not sinister and treatable as is your anxiety. Give the meds some time to work, stay away from Dr Google and learn to trust those that have experience and your best interests in mind.

Positive thoughts

claireypoo
29-03-14, 22:45
Thank you FMP. I am so glad for you. xxxx I am trying. I developed health anxiety after my daughter and I were badly let down by three doctors in a row, then my father was let down too, so to say I have trust issues with all doctors is an understatement! It is something I am working on in therapy.

I did feel that the consultant was someone I could believe (at the time) he was very experienced and knowledgeable. I just can't make it 'stick', I wish I could. X

MyNameIsTerry
30-03-14, 06:19
Claire, I think many people get let down by their doctors...especially with anxiety issues! It's natural to question authority when it has let you down in the past, it's just that it's become a bit of an anchor for you and you need to get beyond it somehow.

Think this way, this guy was a consultant in a hospital. These guys & girls are top of the tree so getting to them means you are getting the expert.

Try to accept that and monitor how it goes. When the time comes and i all is well, hang on to that and try to rebuild your trust.

claireypoo
30-03-14, 08:18
Thanks Terry, you are right. I know you are. x Medical negligence left my daughter with massive brain damage, blind, with epilepsy & cerebral palsy and me unable to have more children. I got health anxiety after that, and because of chronic sleep deprivation (my daughter has severe sleep difficulties) I won't even go into what happened to my dad. :(

My GP has been very good, which is something, and my daughter's paediatric consultatant is very good. I find it hard to trust new doctors, though or accept any diagnosis.

I suppose there isn't any choice. What else is there? I'm not going down the 'Witch Doctor' route as I don't like chickens. ;) The thing is, I don't want the test (who really WANTS a gastroscopy, especially if they don't need it?) and the doctor made sense. He made a plan for me too, bloods, meds and a gastroscopy in 4 weeks if I'm not a lot better. It wasn't a fob off. I want to trust him, but the pain I feel in my right ribs constantly just doesn't feel like acid reflux. Or the stabbing knitting needle pains in my shoulder muscles, which he said was reflux too. STOP. ARGHHHH!

Claire xx

ninnie
30-03-14, 09:46
Interesting, I get pretty much the same symptoms. Wonder if I have this too. Much better diagnosis than I am expecting, like bowel cancer, pancreatic cancer. :scared15:
Thanks CPoo

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 02:36
Claire, I think questioning any authority is correct as long as its not obsessive. My dad being old fashioned will completely trust a doctors advice - because it came from a professional. I've worked with enough professionals to know they make mistakes to.

I would think anyone who went through the terrible ordeals you have had with doctors, would completely distrust them.

All I can suggest is to show a small amount of trust and let them prove it. From what you have said, your consultant has taken the correct actions and is following it up. In fact, it would be inappropriate to not follow it uo or subject you go tests you dont need. So, that should show you that you can trust this consultant to do whats right for you.

In terms at of your distrust, thats not anxiety to me because its based on a trauma. It happened. People without anxiety think that way too. Its anxiety in the sense of being uncomfortable in trusting people, but it wasnt the trigger.

Could you try CBT aimed specifically at that issue? Challenge, change or accept, etc.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope she is doing well and is happy.