PDA

View Full Version : Very unusual heart palpitations

ben_jamzin
30-03-14, 17:03
Perhaps someone can help me with this - I know there are many posts here about heart issues and SADS, but please bear with me.

For 2 of the past nights out of 3, I have had a strange sensation during the night, I am unsure if I am dreaming or awake at the time but have felt the sensation of having a fast, strong heartbeat that seems to wither at every 4th beat. It is very vivid and extremely frightening.

I feel as though I am in a state of semi-consciousness when I have this sensation, as I am able to remember it and it feels extremely vivid at the time. The particularly strange thing is, I know that were I to be awake at the time of feeling this, I would undoubtedly panic and wake up very quickly, however, I felt weirdly comfortable at the time and "fell back asleep" or drifted out of consciousness again.

These symptoms have baffled me, and are of a strong heartbeat and consistent arrhythmia. Naturally I am very worried about it, and would really be curious as to whether anybody else has a similar experience to this which they could share.

Many thanks,

Ben

PanicWHU
30-03-14, 18:50
Slightly different but I get an electric shock type jolt feeling in my heart sometimes when falling asleep. It has kept me awake in the past. It's weird

Freaked
30-03-14, 21:58
Have you ever had an ECG? With anxiety, you can get all kinds of bizarre heart sensations as you're falling asleep. I often feel like my heart has stopped for a second or the past few nights I've been getting 'judders' that are kind of scary. Your sensations are probably just anxiety but maybe you should ask your doctor about a holter monitor to try to capture this? Just in case, and if it is just anxiety it will put your mind at ease.

ben_jamzin
31-03-14, 00:05
I have had both an ECG and a holter, this is the first time I've experienced this kind of sensation though. I can relate, the heart does do odd things when falling asleep.

Will try and get a GP tomorrow, see if they can shed any light