PDA

View Full Version : how to you manage your symptoms??

eddy1608
30-03-14, 18:09
Just curious what methods people have to deal with there symptoms.
My biggest symptoms are chest aches and pains which I get everyday, lightheadedness and short of breath. I am starting to exercise more to challenge the thoughts of heart issues butits difficult. So any methods or natural remidies would be cool
Cheers

Lisa.w1979
30-03-14, 20:56
Hey eddie

i get chest pain everyday, mainly in the middle, where my ribs meet my breastplate, and on the left. At first i thought it was heart problems, but i figured after 6 months with it, id be dead if it was my heart. My gp has reassured my its musculoskeletal.

I get a feeling of breathlessness too. I breath in counting to 5 and out counting to 7. It helps regulate my breathing and takes my mind off the worry as i have to concentrate.

Obviously cbt helps me to understand the ways in which anx can affect my body. it stops me worrying so much.

If you wanna chat, im online most days.

Hope you're well.

lisa. xx

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 04:36
I think you are doing the right thing by challenging it, thats a big step. Exercise is also very good for hormone regulation, deeper sleep, better mood, etc so it's effects will be cumulative.

You could try Mindfulness meditation which will help you relax, help you to disengage your thoughts and give you more control as well as helping you to view symptoms as nothing more than sensations. It takes time to learn it but it will start working after a short time even if only a little bit.

You could try progressive muscle relaxation. It's a method of tensing and releases so you understand its all just sensations.

I find that PMR is useful early on into the worst anxiety periods because it's easy to learn but it seems to get less effective over time as you improve. Mindfulness however is a life journey so you will never outgrow it.

You could maybe try Tai Ci or QiGong which are similiar to Mindfulness but with gently movements.

Have a look on the Therapy board. There are threads on there that will be useful, Mindfulness, EFT, etc.

Marie36
31-03-14, 09:31
Meditation has been my saviour..just freedom from my own head even for a few minutes has been so useful. I am waiting for CBT..I think this will help

skippy66
31-03-14, 12:24
The best thing you can do is to accept them, let them 'wash over you' for want of a better expression. Symptoms are like turbulence on an aeroplane. You can stress about it knowing that you can't do anything to stop it, or you can sit back and relax knowing that you can't do anything to stop it. Make sense?