PDA

View Full Version : So it seems to me

I'mdave27
30-03-14, 23:30
I've come to the conclusion that you are entitled to an opinion on this site and people are very nice , warm and welcoming. However , I've also learnt that they are only nice or respect you're opinion if it fits in with how they see things because if you say something or even speak the truth everyone will try to gang up on you , what is this a cult ? A religion ? No , it's a website where people come for support and where people create threads which sometimes involve asking questions or at least it seems that way , that's how I see it. The moment you give an honest opinion or even just let people know how you feel about a topic , it could be anything , if they don't like what they read people just seem to go crazy. What's the point of trying to recover if you can't handle the truth ? Isn't that what therapy involves being a 100% honest with the therapist ? So if you go to therapy it's not honesty you want but you just want people to sugar coat things for you or shall we wrap you up in cotton wool and say everything is going to be ok when the reality is no one knows if it's going to be ok , none of us know. I think by sugar coating things you are doing more damage to the person who is need of help just because you put 100% effort into trying to achieve success it doesn't men you'll succeed , as I said no one knows. Reality is here and you can't avoid it I honestly feel quiet anxious that so many people live in a dream world it scares me , it really does

ankietyjoe
31-03-14, 00:05
I've never had experiences like that on this site.

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 01:33
But you have to remember that in therapy you are not being judged. Thats a pre requisite for these professionals because they expect to hear peoples fears.

This is a public web forum which has set rules regarding conduct of members.

Also, there are overriding laws in place that you need to be aware of e.g. racism. Forum rules should cover things like this under the offensive post rule but they are also accountable to the authorities in enforcing this where the law is broken.

Not considering any of the above, we have common respect & decency. We all have the right to be spoken to with respect. If you dont do this, others may not be respectful towards you.

I understand your point, I have experienced an element of sticking together to disprove a valid opinion, however I have been respectful & considerate in posting hence didnt appreciate it.

Put your argument across respectfully and even if you experience this behaviour you can say you did nothing wrong.

PanchoGoz
31-03-14, 12:01
Some of the things you have written recently Dave have been out of character and hurtful.
I don't think we can judge a person's state of health online, we are not professionals and yes we can only offer opionions at the person's own risk. You can say something nicely as in, "you should ask your therapist for further guidence" but you have not been nice! People come here in fear just like you did, treat them with respect for at least making that step.
Plus I noticed the other day you called God a fairytale in a religious discussion which totally shocked me and then in another thread offered to pray for someone. That is so demeaning. I think you need to sort your head out!

I'mdave27
31-03-14, 12:13
You can still pray and not believe in a man made God you know that , right ? I was being sincere when I offered to pray , which I did , but obviously someone who doesn't believe in a God that society follows is going to be labelled as a nutter. My head is completely fine thanks if I'm totally honest I've never felt better in my whole life I'm seriously thinking of closing my account the negative energy on this site is astounding it's like you all feed off each others stories...

Jacsta
31-03-14, 12:57
Everybody is entitled to their opinion...but there are ways of expressing that opinion and there is also a time and a place. I think you are seeing people gang up on you because a lot of people haven't agreed with how you have expressed your opinion recently...you say people should be honest, yet when they are honest to you they are bullies?

I admit, I messaged you privately about certain posts of yours, it was not intended to bully, it was intended to ask in a friendly manner for you to think about how you post replies, and to remind you that a lot of people on this site are venerable...I believe that threads should stay on topic, therefore me asking this of you on the forum would cause things to go off topic...

Yes recovery is about honesty, with ourselves as well as those around us, but that recovery needs to be guided by professionals, and people on this site aren't professionals...they are just fellow sufferers therefore certain rules/ guidelines have to be in place to make sure that it is a safe environment for sufferers to seek support.

I really am sorry that you feel ganged up on, maybe we should all take the time to think about how we post on this forum, and before clicking "post click reply" think "will this response provide support for the other person"?

Jac

PanchoGoz
31-03-14, 13:20
Man made god?! Also, no I've never seen a nice respectful atheist labelled as a nutter, that is something religion has to suffer from.

I definitely believe in thinking about that question Jac, it should be a little pop up box before posting every time.

clarisse
31-03-14, 13:23
You don,t seem to acknowledge or have the capability of seeing your own faults Dave. Playing the victim here is really quite ridiculous.
Do you ever manage to say anything without offending anyone in real life?
Seems you,ve done a good job on here.
Closed minds are dangerous things and sometimes you can learn a lot from realising you may be wrong and learning from others.
If you dont know anything on a subject and cant be helpful best to keep quite IMO .
Mocking people s beliefs and being downright rude has no place on here.
Goodbye .... glad to hear you feel good.

I'mdave27
31-03-14, 13:41
Craziness. . . At it's best. . . is santa clause real ?

Rennie1989
31-03-14, 15:50
Dave, you can't slag off other religions and beliefs because you don't agree with them. Respect and you will be respected. If people think you're a nutter because you're atheist (which I doubt they do) does it really matter?

Just tone the posts down a bit. Whilst I agree somewhat that sugar coating things may not be the right thing to do we are not here to be people's therapists, but a supportive community that people rely on to off-load and to not feel judged. Sometimes I don't want to hear that I've been selfish, over-dramatic or wrong, sometimes I just a virtual cuddle.

PanchoGoz
31-03-14, 16:59
Craziness. . . At it's best. . . is santa clause real ?

0 respect for you now. Will not be communicating with you anymore. Grow up.

SarahH
31-03-14, 18:49
...perhaps people are "ganging" up on you Dave because you are so flippin' rude!! It's not WHAT you say it's the way you say it!

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-14, 02:55
And there you go again, mocking other peoples religious beliefs because they differ to yours.

You dont have to believe in god, you can be unconvinced (agnostic), you can be a spiritualist, follow a popular religion or a lesser known one, etc. Religious leaders should teach tolerance of other beliefs to its followers and those that dont tend to be extremists. Whilst we have free speech in the UK, we also have laws to prosecute those who descriminate or promote hatred. You can have your beliefs and tolerate others you know, it's something the major faiths try to promote and I don't recall spiritualists having an issue with mainstream religion.

Do you understand and agree with that?

What would your prayer have been for the person you offended and said should be committed to a secure facility? Remember telling the guy that it was offensive to real OCD sufferers yet your thread about books in the OCD section wasnt OCD, everyone gets that, but no one replied this way either from not understanding of out of respect? You judged him based on a post. Would you prefer to have been judged and told its not? How would you have felt if someone reacted in the same way that you did?

Your first comment on RoseEve's apology thread was to mock her religious beliefs, presumably from reading her footer or profile page. You then clarrified that you weren't being sarcastic, so you meant to offend her.

So, I wonder if you do that to strangers?

I commented respectfully on a few of your threads inbetween the 2 that have caused all this so I hardly think you can claim you are being ganged up on. Actually, I'm pretty surprised how lenient the mods have been as others forums would have deleted everything, maybe even banned people.

Don't you want to use this site for help, support and to do the same for others? If all you want to do is cause offence, I would suggest Facebook, Twitter, Digital Spy, etc would be a better place since it is rife on those, but you will get a far sterner response on there.

I suspect VBJ will have to resolve this thread as well ,so my apologies for my part in this thread mods, but I'm not much for standing silent when I'm being badmouthed or made out to be something that I am not.

I partially agree with Jacsta, sometimes you have to, especially if you are anxious, angry or emotional. But I dont think you should when you are standing up for yourself and in the case of vulnerable posters, its a good thing and only shows me that there are compassionate & principled people on here.

RoseEve
01-04-14, 03:48
You said it all Terry. I think you really need to do some self reflection Dave. You have offended me and others quite a bit.