PDA

View Full Version : How i do stop this worry

danbryn
30-03-14, 23:58
Each time i do my daily targets, i am alone and outside for 20-30mins, first 15mins is fine then i suddenly realise where i am and then i get nervous and worry..

How do i get over that or work through it ?

Oosh
02-04-14, 12:42
Like a tightrope walker who gets half way then looks down. He'd learn to keep his focus on his task and not shift it to looking down.

So much of it is learning to manage what you focus on.
You're clearly losing control of your focus half way through.

Keep your focus on other things for the duration. Give yourself a big pat on the back when you successfully control your focus for the whole 30 mins.

Put headphones on and a podcast about a subject you're interested in. Focus on what's being said and on NOTHING else. Set a reminder for 30 mins.

Successfully control your focus and you'll be able to manage a lot more than being outside for 30 mins. Keep at it, you'll get there.

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-14, 01:13
Leatn Mindfulness meditation so you feel more comfortable with anxiety. Its ok right now to focus hard to stop it happened but long term you want yo be able to not experience focussed or not otherwise it can become sort of an avoidance.

What exactly makes your mind suddenly notice? A thought, a sensation, distraction, etc?

Oosh
03-04-14, 10:06
Terry I think you've misunderstood me mate.

On my first cbt appointment my psychologist said to me "do you accept that feelings are a reaction to your thoughts ?" Of course I said yes.

Have you also heard said that events aren't what are important it's the MEANING you attach to them ?

How you see things AND having the confidence to feel you're in control of how you see something, what you focus on is fundamental.

My posts are always about giving people more effective ways to see things. Ways that work FOR them and ultimately to allow them to feel they are in control of how they see things and what they choose to focus on.

To me and in everything I've read and heard this is fundamental.

Feeling confidence in your ability to focus on what you want and see it however you choose is what will help you at the start to take those thoughts off the stage in your mind and replace it with something YOU want to be on that stage.
With the goal being to having thoughts about the exterior, non-anxious life ALL of the time.
And in one year, ten years when you INEVITABLY have that panic attack thought sitting on the stage looking right at you , it's having the confidence in your ability to decide what and how you focus on something to shift focus and instantly forget it as if it were just another thought passing through.

It's fundamentally gaining the confidence and belief that YOU CHOOSE what you focus on and HOW you see things.

It's not (Terry) "Its ok right now to focus hard to stop it happened but long term you want yo be able to not experience focussed or not otherwise it can become sort of an avoidance. "

It's not "hard" and it's not at any stage "avoidance".

I've suffered with panic attacks, social anxiety, intrusive thoughts many years and it's been 20 years since I've had a panic attack overpower me.
I KNOW this works.

Sufferers want to reach "normal". Well normal is you've gained control of those thoughts AND then you've forgotten. Your mind is now occupied by other worldly non-anxious things ie football, make up, holidays, relationships.
The panic thoughts WILL and DO still pop up and confidence in your control of your thoughts/FOCUS is everything.

Feeling/knowing you're in control of your thoughts/focus is how you chase away the thought in an instant.

Not feeling that control of your focus/thoughts is what makes you feel powerless to its inevitable appearance and say " OH GOD, HERE IT COMES".

Why would you fear it if you have confidence that you're in control of your focus/thoughts ?

Being locked in a cycle of anxious thoughts is a habit and the more time you spend focusing elsewhere the more you break that cycle and the weaker those thoughts get.
It starts with a day and then becomes weeks. Relapse. A day, weeks, months, relapse. Months, years. You're breaking a habit and rewriting neural pathways.
You keep these neural pathways alive by constantly sending the blood circulation down them and forcing yourself to create other thought/neural pathways is how you reroute the bloody supply causing the anxious neural pathways to wither and weaken. Which is the reason why the habit/cycle/focus gets weaker.
You spend more and more time out of the box with your thoughts elsewhere.

But at the start it's a task to prize your focus off them and learn to put it elsewhere.

To say focusing is "focusing hard" (like its extreme concentration) and will inevitably lead to avoidance is just inaccurate. Focus is just thinking of something else to ultimately reach a point where you have CONFIDENCE in your ability to control your focus and THINK about anything you want, how you want.
This isn't an avoidance. It gives you the confidence to brush off a panic thought when it pops up because you no longer fear it because you have confidence.

A lot of people advocate mindfulness on this board but I also see people commenting that it's not for them.

NLP, CBT, Mindfulness, there'll be another one next year. They help some but not others but are always claimed to be breakthroughs.

(I've had 24 sessions of cbt and it did exactly nothing for me)

Aren't they all different ways to see ?
"Look at it like this"

If you don't have confidence in your ability to focus on WHAT you want, WHEN you want, HOW you want you'll feel powerless to a panic thought when it comes.
Have confidence in controlling your focus and you WONT be AFRAID of it when it comes and thus won't feel powerless. It'll lose its power because your FEAR of it will be gone.

I'm not having a go at you pal. You help a lot of people around here and have your own ideas on what works. It's just I felt you sort of ended up making my post look like it was saying something it wasn't.