PDA

View Full Version : help

paula78
31-03-14, 05:56
Someone help me plz, I'm havin a real hard time right now my HA is terrible, shortness of breath an chest pain is convincing me I have lung cancer, plus I have been a smoker up till just a few days ago! Had these symptoms for months now, I really feel almost suicidal this mornin I dnt knw what to do :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 06:10
Heh Paula, well done for giving up the smoking...thats a hard at the best of times let alone what you are going through at the moment. It might also make you a bit more anxious until you get it all out of your system.

Shortness of breath is very common for panic or anxiety. Try to relax and breathe. I know this sounds ridiculous right now, but it gets easier in time.

Have you tried calming technique to help your breathing? Maybe progressive muscle relaxation will help your tight chest?

I remember on your other threads that you have an infection as well so I would suggest speaking to your GP and getting him/her to check out your chest as a precaution to put your mind at rest.

Hang in there. Remember you conquered shopping and you probably didn't think you would get through that, but you did.

paula78
31-03-14, 06:16
I'm such a mess the thought of goin to the GP petrifies me right now, I get nowhere with any of the GPs at my practice just anti depressants which haven't agreed with me, an everytime I've gone my fear has been my chest an my heart, they listened to my chest an they say it sounds clear an that's it, I'm supposed to have bloods taken on friday but I'm so scared of the results, I dnt think I can get them done :( what should I do Terry I'm a mess, walkin back an too round my house cryin :( xx

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 06:26
I know it's hard Paula. I remember both times I hit rock bottom and going to my GP. The second time I was sitting in the car across the road uncontrollable shaking.

I know what you mean with anti depressants. I always struggle going on them as opposed to coming off them. Sometimes you need something to calm you down whilst you go on them because once you get past the side effect period, it starts to look up.

If they said it sounds ok, maybe it is. Maybe it's just because you are feeling the anxiety so much. I remember it, it was horrible and I didn't think I could carry on but you can because it can't harm you.

Why not have the test, and go from there? If your chest was ok, maybe these will be too. Did you your GP say it was just a precaution with your chest being ok?

GP's can be difficult. Some are good, others don't really understand anxiety & depression. Mine, whilst good, just don't have the time so it's a bit of a revolving door practice...great for coughs & colds, but nothing more complex.

It would be best to go. You could see if there is anything else they can offer. Can they offer anti depressants but with something to calm you down when you need it, can they refer you off to someone who can spend time talking to you, can you have a referral to a CBT therapist who will look at ways to tackle your problems, etc?

Are there a mental health charities in your local area that you can talk to? In my city there is one offering self help groups where you can talk or just listen. It's hard at first but after a few sessions it gets easier and people understand how you feel.

paula78
31-03-14, 06:33
I'm awaiting my first cbt session but not yet got a date, an my doctor is doing the blood tests to ease my mind apparently, there doin a full blood count, thyroid, hormone check with my bloods, I'm constantly short of breath an have chest pain, this never really subsides although like I said the gp says its clear, I do have a really bad tooth infection too, its just that lung cancer is my biggest fear an because I've smoked for 17 yrs I'm even more convinced, I've only stopped in the last few days an its so hard!
My gp prescribed me diazepam ages ago an I took them when I needed an I habe one left but I'm scared to get addicted to them,
Terry I'm in such a mess I cnt take much more do you think I should call my local MH team? I've never spoke to them before! Xxx

Phuzella
31-03-14, 06:38
Nicotine withdrawal is making you feel worse I'm sure :). Well done for quitting it

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-14, 06:43
If thats what they are there for you could. I don't know what that service is though so it's hard for me to say.

Withdrawing from nicotine will be hitting your anxiety as Phuzella said. It's makes non anxious people, anxious.

You need to try breathing & relaxation exercises to calm your body down. It will be difficult at first but it will start helping.

As long as you follow the instructions, you will be able to use Diazapam. It's justa short term thing. It's something they often give for a week or so to help you through the side effects of going into anti depressants.

Please look up calming technique and progressive muscle relaxation. They are given out before you get to CBT because they are easy to follow. They may help you.

paula78
31-03-14, 06:46
Thanks Terry I literally am struggling to brethe right now, I get short of breth doin most things an apparently its a common symptom of anxiety, I get a lump feelin in my throat, I get chest pain an a really rapid heartbeat I'm scared to death, xxx

mummyanxious
31-03-14, 07:10
So what happens when you take the diazapam you were prescribed? Do you still have all the symptoms then?
How are you getting on with the relaxation I suggested?

paula78
31-03-14, 07:26
Diazepam dnt stop the shortness of breath MA an I'm currently trying to do meditation and brething exercises but I'm very very tense at the min, I'm struggling, I'm so fed up, an petrified immensly about a gp visit :( I feel stupid but wish I could take you guys to my appt with me :( thanks my dear friends for your help an support xxx

mummyanxious
31-03-14, 08:22
There's no need to feel worried about a gp app, they're there to help! Call your surgery today and get some advice. Explain how the diazapam doesn't stop the shortness of breath. Might be just your dose isn't high enough.

paula78
31-03-14, 09:56
Is it normal with anxiety to have shortness of breath all the time :( x

mummyanxious
31-03-14, 10:37
Yes because you're concentrating on your breathing. Breathing is a natural thing to do so if we concentrate on it we interrupt the natural pattern.
I can't remember whether you said you'd got the Claire weeks book or not but there's a paragraph about it in there. If you haven't got it I really do highly recommend it

paula78
31-03-14, 11:22
I'm gonna order the book today hun of amazon xxx

skippy66
31-03-14, 12:22
Breathing is one of those annoying things that you don't notice when you're doing other things. Focus on your breathing though, and it will become difficult. That's your problem at the moment.