PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and gas?

roady
31-03-14, 07:55
Hello, all. It's been a while since I posted! I had been feeling better generally and thus, less health anxiety. I have also been so fortunate as to find a therapist who chats with me on Skype and whom I can afford. So things have really improved, truly. But I am still haven't some ongoing stomach issues, and feeling a bit stuck.

I was wondering, do any of you feel that gas can be agitated by anxiety? I know there's some connection re: hyperventilation (that's a hard to word to spell ha). I have definitely been working on my breathing when I'm out and about, I still have some anxiety about leaving the house/feeling poorly while out, which I think makes this worse. But right now, recently, my biggest issue is with extreme gas discomfort and pain, especially when being out, walking around. It feels like stomach has swollen up enormously, and it's hard to feel comfortable breathing or walking (plus the awkward-ness of constantly burping and belching!) This makes it difficult for me to do many tasks, especially since walking and public transit are my only ways of getting around.

So, do you think your anxiety makes your gas worse?

skippy66
31-03-14, 12:32
It absolutely can.

On another point, your therapist should have advised you by now to stop creating posts like this because it keeps you 'locked in' to HA.

maribel
31-03-14, 14:44
Oh absolutely! I had pressure pain in my stomach for 13 months, finally got up the nerve to go to a doctor, had an endoscopy and when they told me I was TOTALLY fine, NOTHING wrong at all - that pain went away that afternoon and never returned (that was 8 years ago) you can manufacture symptoms and the become very real.
And if you are hyperventilating you are taking in a LOT more air and swallowing it!