PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma fears :(

Ventussi
31-03-14, 10:55
Hello,

I've got many moles all over my skin, they're everywhere, small ones, bigger ones, regular, irregular, etc. I've hardly thought about them, since my parents also have plenty of moles everywhere and I considered it inherited.

On Saturday I had an awful throat ache which turned out to be tonsillitis and I'm on an antibiotic now. But the doctor during the check-up mentioned, that I had plenty of moles and should go to a dermatologist to check them. This was the first time in my life that a GP told me that. I have a bigger one (approx 1cm diameter) on my back for a few years and now I think "What if it's too late? What if I'm a dead man already?".

Now I can't get this thought off my mind. It's not that easy to get to a dermatologist quickly here in Poland. It takes a month or two to wait in a queue. Unless one wants to go private, but this costs $$$. I'm scared :weep:

Susie333
31-03-14, 11:36
Hi Ventussi
I am going through the same anxiety with my 33yr old daughter. She is fair skined and has a few moles and frekles. If you look at my ealier posts this month you will see what's happening but basically she had a suspicious mole removed on Friday and we now have to wait 2/3 weeks for the results. She has been told in looks like early Melanoma which of course has frightened the life out of me. The good news is it is very treatable if it is Melanoma.
I understand your anxiety, it's not nice to be told you have to be referred but at this stage I think your GP is just being cautious, I'm sure you will be fine.

skippy66
31-03-14, 12:21
You have to try and relinquish control, because there's nothing you can do about the situation. The overwhelming likelihood is that you're ok, so you should cling to that. But you need to relinquish control.

Ventussi
31-03-14, 12:56
Thank you for the response. The doctor didn't suggest that something was wrong, she just said that since there's plenty of them, I should have them checked before summer comes.

Ok, now try to be calm...

Masqued
02-04-14, 11:32
I have a lot of moles and get them checked regularly.
Its a good way to ease the mind.

Dont get into the habit of checking them yourself everyday as this will be come obsessive!
Take it from me

Vigilante
02-04-14, 13:55
To be honest I have 100s of moles too, I don't go around checking them either, I have one in particular on my lower back which is the big soft and squidgy type, so I always keep my back out of the sun and never get that area burned at all.

Sounds like your doc is being over the top to me, unless you actually have a mole that looks like it has a problem, weeping, bleeding, scabby, wont heal and blah blah I wouldn't worry.

Fishmanpa
02-04-14, 14:37
Guys and gals....

It's common sense as we grow older (and even when we're younger) to have moles and skin "things" checked by your GP. Many GP's (including mine) can identify potentially troublesome skin issues and treat them. I've had 4 removed (freezing) in the last 4 years and I'm checked every 6 months at my check ups.

You can play connect the moles and draw zoo animals on my back but I believe many people are the same. Of course, if you notice something out of the ordinary, get it checked. It's absolutely normal and a doctor being a good doctor to refer you to a dermatologist if they're not an expert on the subject.

The key and the problem in this instance, is that anxiety can draw you into the spiral of worry and obsessive poking and prodding.

See the dermatologist and set your mind at ease.

Positive thoughts