PDA

View Full Version : To be OCD does it have to involves rituals

lisha371
31-03-14, 18:39
Say some one has intrusive thoughts but they don't preform rituals can that still be classed as OCD?

Hopefullness
31-03-14, 18:57
Hi lisha371,
Yes, it can. Most people with OCD have both obsessions and compulsions, but the compulsions don't have to be visible to others. For instance, more "invisible compulsions" could be to think the word "STOP" a a specific number of times when a intrusive thought appears, or ask for reassurance. OCD without compulsions, or when it's primarily obsessions, is also called "Pure O" and can be treated in the same way as other forms of OCD. Another content in obsessions is rumination, in which a question/episode is being thinking over and over again. You can read more about obsessions and compulsions here: http://www.ocduk.org/obsessions-compulsions

harasgenster
31-03-14, 19:57
Matter of semantics, this. Some people use the term "Pure O", others class this as part of panic disorder or general anxiety. Anxiety is on a sort of spectrum, so OCD is classified according to how many symptoms you have. Classic OCD includes some kind of ritualisation. Intrusive thoughts are (an optional) part of the criteria for a lot of other anxiety disorders, particularly panic disorder - (thoughts like "jump on the train tracks" when a train is coming, for example; or "am I gay?" thoughts are common). You might perform small rituals by checking your sexual thoughts or moving away from the train tracks, but this may not really classify as OCD if it is not your most major issue. (So you might have health anxiety but have periods of checking your sexuality due to intrusive thoughts - this doesn't necessarily classify as OCD because your 'main' anxiety is over your health).

Basically, all of the anxiety disorders are not separate entities. They are shades of each other, classified in specific ways, and you can easily move from one disorder to another and back again because they're all caused by the same thing. The good news is the treatment is the same so don't worry about which label you fall under :)

ohwell123
31-03-14, 21:01
some people carry out avoidance techniques ie they stay away from children or they hide items that could be used as a weapon to harm someone.... 'THINKING' they 'Might' carry out these terrible acts

ofcourse they never do but it plagues the sufferer

people who suffer from this usually are the most helpful kindest people you could meet

however they are in such distress at the time they believe they are turning into these thoughts regardless of reassurance

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-14, 01:23
OCD is a result of an underlying anxiety condition and it has many forms. For instance, you could suffer from O or C or O&C. So, Pure O would be Obsessions only but you could have Compulsions only.

Compulsions are usually seen as safety behaviours which you perform to avoid what could happen. But it can also appear in reverse as you are forced to complete your Compulsions which increase your anxiety.

Have a look at OCD UK's website for information.

Hopefullness, good to see you back on here! Hope you are ok?

RoseEve
01-04-14, 03:52
I always thought I had pure "o" but my therapist helped me see that I do compulsive things. For me I obsess about an illness and then I compulsively check the internet. You be doing mental tasks along with the obsessive thoughts.