PDA

View Full Version : Pollution going to be very high in London this week

LostinThought
31-03-14, 22:42
http://londonist.com/2014/03/london-air-pollution-at-highest-level.php

'This episode of air pollution is primarily down to particulates (http://londonist.com/2012/04/londons-air-quality-is-rubbish-but-what-can-be-done.php) — tiny particles that we breathe in and can embed themselves into our lungs. It’s being largely blamed on pollution being blown in from Europe and sitting over the south east in these fine, still weather conditions. The morning fog today and yesterday has also contributed to moderately high nitrogen dioxide levels because the traffic pollution from rush hour hasn’t been able to disperse into the air.'

This is my worst nightmare. I am meant to be doing university work and taking public transport in London all this week, and we are having extremely high pollution levels. This has sparked off my anxiety for sure. Now I am considering making an excuse and not going in this week but people are relying on me (I'm crew on a film project see for a student film).

Would it be an over-reaction to stay at home?
Anybody else been following this story?

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

I am getting so worried about this. I am also worried about my girlfriend who lives in central London and is currently experiencing horrible hay fever. I hope she is going to be okay

Brunette
01-04-14, 13:18
Hi,

I have to say I noticed the dust on the cars yesterday and thought it was to do with local building work. It was only reading about the "Saharan dust" on the news today that I realised what had caused it, but suffice to say the air felt fine even in the middle of London yesterday and was OK this morning.

Whether it gets stuffier today because the sun is out I don't know but even then I reckon you'd have to be at high risk (with asthma of some other condition) for it to really affect you.

LostinThought
01-04-14, 21:04
Thanks, Brunette. I'm glad you didn't feel any symptoms. I am going to be on the tube for a good deal tomorrow and only hope the air is fine down there.

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-14, 02:42
The Saharan dust has reached my area in the Midlands today. Its due to rain and wash it away though.

The weather forecast said some people may have hayfever like symptoms, which I had for an hour or so last night without knowing why but we had a bad rain storm (the dust attaches to rain droplets in the air), and it may affect those with more serious respiratory conditions. No effect on my mild asthma as I was out waling in it for hours tonight.

Is this another story as its suggesting its from Europe?