PDA

View Full Version : A weird and embarrassing one.

charsey
01-04-14, 01:46
I think I have anal cancer!!

I'm in tears with panic. 2yrs or so ago I noticed a lump, left it for a while as I thought it'd go away, it obviously didn't. So I went to the dr about a yr or so after finding it and they told me it was nothing, gave some treatment but it didn't help.
I didn't go back as the dr didn't seem concerned and that reassured me some what (very stupid of me). Well for a while now I've had strange bowel movements and now I keep having stomach bug type episodes. I'm so scared, I've got to book a dr's app for the morning as I'm now very scared. I hope someone is up to help xx

maribel
01-04-14, 01:56
Sounds like a hemorrhoid to me! (the stomach bug episodes would have nothing to do with that, that could just be something you are eating or what have you).

charsey
01-04-14, 02:17
Thanks for replying. I'm so scared, do you think if it were more serious that I'd have more symptoms by now as it is 2 and a 1/2 yrs since I first found the lump? I'm too scared to google any more info on it. I just can't shake this feeling that I've left it too late.

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-14, 02:21
Where is the lump exactly?

charsey
01-04-14, 02:42
Hi Terry,
I'm sorry, is it not obvious! I'm really embarrassed hence why I probably didn't go back to the dr, like I should have.

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-14, 03:05
Sorry, I didnt mean to embarrass you. I was just wondering whether it could be an internal or external roid. They are lumps in that area and they can bleed or sometimes things can change a bit in that area e.g. mucus in stools.

Given your GP examined it and thought it was ok, perhaps it was these. They dont go but they can shrink or grow and are susceptible to stress, anxiety, hard exercise, etc.

I doubt they account for stomach issues so its worth seeing your GP but they could always be separate conditions.

I remember having those types of examinations feeling embarrassing but please remember that they see these things all they time, its their daily work so wont think anything other than what is required to do their job.

Would it help if your GP was the same sex as you?

charsey
01-04-14, 03:16
The dr wasn't sure if they were internal as well as external. I'm not sure its grown, it's definitely not shrunk. Yes I will book in to see a gp of the same sex. I don't have blood with it, it actually causes me no discomfort at all. I think it may have appeared a few months after having my son ( I can't remember exactly when I found it). He's now 3.

RoseEve
01-04-14, 03:21
I can feel my hemmies

charsey
01-04-14, 03:40
All the time RoseEve?

eevee
01-04-14, 04:05
You said it appeared after you gave birth. I think I read it's not uncommon for hemorrhoids to appear after childbirth.

Fishmanpa
01-04-14, 04:08
Seeing a doctor is a good thing. In the meantime, don't you think, if this were sinister, you would be pretty sick after almost three years?

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-14, 04:43
I think you should listen to FMP on this one as he has had cancer from what I recall (I hope you don't mind me mentioning this?)

It is starting to look like roids to me. Roids are caused in various ways and one of them is a lot of straining. They are very common to bodybuilders and mine came when I was doing a lot of weightlifting in my early twenties.

So, if you think about it, whats the thing they tell you to do when delivering your baby? Push...and isn't it from the bottom? I bet if you asked a maternity nurse they would have said it is extremely common in pregnancy.

I've heard that women can have this in pregnancy which I guess is because constipation seems to affect them, hence more straining or going a lot more to try.

Still see your GP as everyone is saying and it's good that you have found a solution to this with getting a same sex examination. Us men can feel the same when we have a problem with the undercarriage and walk in to see a woman...so I'm sure it's quite common.

I've had mine for about 15 years now. Sometimes they flare up and I've had the odd year where they flare up a lot but also quite a few years where they don't bother me. They can itch, bleed from rubbing on toilet paper or straining, get temporarily bigger from straining or from having the runs, etc.

Your last GP should have easily diagnosed internal and/or external so it sounds like he/she didn't do a very good job. All they need to do is view the area and insert a finger to check for internal ones to find them. It's all very quick if this is all it is. Treatments can differ and sometimes you change over if they aren't working. I remember trying some which weren't much use and then I changed to a steroid based foam and it was far better, but it's only available on presciption.

Hopefully thats what it will be and you can deal with it from there.

Your other symptoms don't seem to fit with roids, well to me anyway, so it's worth having a chat with your GP. Could that even be the anxiety?

Earthmum
01-04-14, 07:27
Don't worry too much this sounds like hemarrroids and are very common after giving birth,
See your doctor they will reassure you that it is nothing major, and in 2 years if you did have something more serious going on believe me you would of known about it,... Go and ease your mind then forget about it, wish you well !!!

RoseEve
01-04-14, 10:29
Yes I have been able to feel them for 8 years. I have 3

charsey
01-04-14, 19:18
Thanks everyone. Yes I probably would be very unwell by now. I'm feeling much better today (although night time is usually my worst time) and I will be seeing the dr next week. Again thank you for replying xx