PDA

View Full Version : Tips for self esteem?

harasgenster
01-04-14, 18:32
My self esteem has got a lot better over the years, but I still find it easy to experience episodes of self loathing. I'm aware this is irrational, because I rarely - if ever - feel hate towards anyone else, but it's very difficult to afford myself the same treatment. I hate making mistakes in any domain (social, work etc.) and memories of 'mistakes' I've made (quotation marks because I guess it's only really me who sees them as mistakes) crop into my mind quite frequently and make me feel really angry.

It's fairly simple to be rational about it and prove to myself I wouldn't feel the same way if a friend had made the same 'mistakes' but rationality doesn't really do anything about the feelings of hate and anger. I know I'm being irrational, but I don't believe it, if that makes sense.

It's important to me that I iron out any self-sabotaging patterns I'm in because I'm determined that I will stay well now! I want to nip this in the bud before it starts causing problems.

Anybody found anything that works well?

nomorepanic
01-04-14, 18:41
Have you read this:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/esteem/

harasgenster
01-04-14, 18:44
Have you read this:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/esteem/

I have now! Thank you :)

MyNameIsTerry
11-04-14, 01:32
Self esteem is made up of various factors. Why not try tackling one or more of those factors?

For instance, self confidence is a big one for anxiety sufferers so come up with ways to improve it. Use micro goals so you are not overwhelmed.

I think exercise is a good one. It has a whole host of benefits and it will help you with confidence and self worth. You will feel better, look better, etc.

Take on something to test yourself that isn't overwhelming. A project perhaps. Then review all the good things you coped with and achieved.

Social activities are useful e.g. clubs.

Volunteering is good for self worth and gives back. All those thanks you's can mean something.

almamatters
11-04-14, 06:55
I have struggled with lack of self esteem my whole life and eventually I became a volunteer for a well known organisation and it helped me so much, It helped me to communicate with people and when I realised how much I was appreciated by the people I helped, my confidence started to improve. :)