PDA

View Full Version : Crisis line

creative1942
01-04-14, 22:06
Two months ago I was given an out of hours telephone number to ring if I ever felt I just couldn't cope. I think the CPN who visited me called it the crisis line. He assured me there would always be someone there I could talk to any time of the night if ever things got really bad. Well I had cause to phone the number over a month ago, gave my details and the girl on the switchboard said she'd pass on my details and someone would call me back. Guess what --- no-one did. I thought that was so bad. It could have happened to someone worse than me and it doesn't bear thinking about what could have resulted from no contact at all. Tonight I had a total howling meltdown -- worse than I can ever remember -- I have been crying from the soles of my feet. I felt so bad I couldn't get my breath and I felt "I've got to talk to someone". So I rang that number, a woman took my phone number and details, said she'd pass on my name and number and someone would call me back. It's now been 4 hours since that call and the phone's stayed silent. What the hell IS this so called "crisis number" people can ring 24/7 and get help?? :shrug:

wabbit1
01-04-14, 22:12
hi, i agree that it is wrong that they don't phone you back, i think sometimes it takes a lot to make that first call and then to get nothing from it is no good.

MRS STRESS ED
01-04-14, 22:24
Hi creative im sorry to hear this its just awful I would go back to who ever gave you the number and tell them what happened ,its no good giving out a crisis number for no one to talk to you unreal xx

ninnie
01-04-14, 22:36
Hi creative
Sorry they've let you down.
You do know you can call the Samaritans dont you?
They are really good to talk to and not just for people who are suicidal. I have used them a couple of times, late at night, when I was feeling really alone and down. X

wabbit1
01-04-14, 22:39
I'll second ninnie - the samaritans are a good place to turn to. I often fire off an email and even though it can take 12 hours to get a response at least I know someone is reading it. I've never been brave enough to phone

BikerMatt
01-04-14, 22:40
That is just totally wrong I just can't understand how things like that can happen. It was about this time last year when I was so bad I went a&e asked to see the crisis team and they kept me waiting for 4 hours.

Annie0904
01-04-14, 23:03
That is really bad that no one got back to you. :( sending you hugs. I hope you can manage to get some sleep tonight. I think you should contact your cpn in the morning.

MyNameIsTerry
02-04-14, 02:04
I agree with trying The Samaritans, its takes a very special person to do what they do.

I woukd suggest raising this with the crisis manager or to a local health authority/trust covering that service. Even if they are unable to take more calls or make callbacks, they can get a response to you telling you why.

Dreadful service to very vulnerable people.

creative1942
02-04-14, 17:07
Have found out what happened. They tried to call me back immediately but my phone doesn't allow withheld numbers. I'm so relieved someone tried to phone. I was really worried for other vulnerable people as well. I'll use my mobile in future if I need to!! And yes, speak to the Samaritans. Thanks.

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-14, 02:01
Thats a really poor excuse from them. A lot of people have there phone set up to do this and have for years. To get around it, companies have mobiles, a shared dept mobile, a dedicated dial out phone, etc.

Any basis debt collections team in an office will have this so for a crisis line not to have it, its extremely poor.

I would be tempted to think this is a blag on their part. There is a crisis team in my city who visit people and they've all got mobiles with them.

Are you feeling any better?

Charlotteee89
03-04-14, 02:09
N'awww that's awful! :weep: Are you sure it's a reputable crisis line?

The Smaritians & Mental Health Matters are amazing. :)

creative1942
03-04-14, 19:32
There is always an undercurrent of anxiety in me. I'm never totally chilled. But whilst there was a pause in the on-going heartache someone keeps dealing me, I was starting to feel a bit better. But that particular night all my anxiety resurfaced big time and I just howled. Now I'm not quite as bad but a long way to go. Thank you for asking :)