PDA

View Full Version : money anxiety

HB
28-07-04, 15:43
hello everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you get more and more anxious when you are short on money?

I am starting university in september and im already panicking about being broke!!! I know it is stupid but i am constantly doing sums in my head trying to work out whether i should get a job when im there etc.

Im off to work now!!![?]

H

stimpy
28-07-04, 23:04
I have to admit that being broke doesn't worry me.
But the nasty constant harrasment from the bank does.

Many people take out consolidation loans on their property in order to clear debts.
But the truth is you don't have to.
If you negotiate with the people you owe money,and come to an "Equitable Agreement" (meaning everyone you owe money to gets a fair share of what you have) you will find that 9 times out of 10 they are willing to help you.

I would go to uni, make the most of the opportunity while you can and then do some careful negotiation to pay back what you owe when you leave.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

sal
28-07-04, 23:41
H

Firstly good luck for uni in September.

Yeap i really get anxious about money. Have a good job but still catching up from debt from my divorce and wonder how i will ever get through it. When i feel anxious i really highlight my money problem.

I am like you and i constantly do sum and write down everything i spend, incoming money and outgoing. Just need to learn to balance it the right way, more coming in than going out.

Please dont worry though, dont let money dull your big opportunity at university. Not good coming from me but life really is too short to worry about that when we feel how we are and think of all the other people out there with problems. Money does help but it cant buy you happiness.

You just enjoy your time and opportunities at university.

Love Sal xxx

HB
29-07-04, 10:19
Well im certrainly not going to let myself get anxious about it when i go to uni, and i probably will spend too much like most other student, i'll just have to face the inevitable debt when i come out!!-- eek!

H

jo-jo
30-07-04, 21:26
Hi there H!

Yes, money is one of the big stressors for many people, and its easy to get worried about it. I too spend lots of time doing spreadsheets and working things out, predicting my income and outgoings for months ahead etc but then I get down and go off for some retail therapy and it all goes to pot and then I get worried again. Truth is, everone is a little like that from time to time. We live in a world full of consumer trappings and we feel we should have all the right things, but most of us haven't enough for all of it [^]

Don't get too worried about money and uni. It might be a good idea to get a part time job - I worked for my uni's sports and recreation unit when I was there as a receptionist and the money certainly helped, but I had to give it up in my last semester due to my work load. You need to find a balance between uni work, fun and your job and the advice we were given in our first year is that about 12 hours a week is enough.

Hey, being a student wouldn't be any fun though if you weren't skint from time to time :D There will be days when its beans on toast and cheap plonk only but you'll still have a fantastic time!

Good luck

Lots of love Jo xxx

HB
31-07-04, 10:55
yeah i cant wait- thanks!!

H

nomorepanic
31-07-04, 18:17
HB

Hiya

I would still go for it - money or not. It is a chance of a lifetime for you.

I was lucky when I was student cos we had grants etc and also I hardly drank a thing (alcohol I mean) and didn't smoke to I had none of the expensive vices to pay for!!

I keep an eye on money by using Microsoft Money which is fantastic so I can see where all the money goes.

Just watch the pennies and remember beans on toast aren't that bad lol!

Nicola

HB
03-08-04, 23:15
I am so nervous about going that money is a worry i could definitely do without before i go!!

I am working hard, only problem is that when i earn some money, i go out and spend it on clothes!! i just cant help myself!!

H

jo-jo
05-08-04, 20:25
Hiya H

You sound so like me - even when I haven't got a bean I still find ways to buy new clothes :D

Don't worry, everyone else at uni will be in the same boat as you and you'll soon learn to manage your money efficiently. The only other tip I can think of is to watch your student loan (if you're getting one) as the first term it has to last until after Christmas. Maybe you could divide the amount between the months it has to keep you going and be really strict about not going over it?

You'll be absolutely fine. When I started uni I had to give up an awful lot at first as I'd had a good job, a company car and a decent salary, but I soon adjusted! Uni days really are the very best of your life so please don't be put off :D

Lots of love Jo xxx

HB
06-08-04, 14:22
i hope so!!! getting scared and nervous now!!

H

HB
17-10-04, 23:09
g'ah! had every right to be scared... am back home but feel 100% better than i did at uni!

H

Sue
18-10-04, 18:17
What happened!!? Are you not enjoying it or is it the money issue?

Like you, I worry about money a lot but then I have recently been made redundant and am now earning a fraction of what I did before, so I guess that is normal.

Why are you home, its not holidays is it? Hope you are ok.

Sue