PDA

View Full Version : Was told I have Labyrinthitis.. Scared it's a brain tumor?

Megb4387
02-04-14, 16:25
Hi everyone! I am new here and I come with extreme GAD and also a bit of a HA as well.

I was recently diagnosed by my GP with labyrinthitis, an inner ear condition, that puts me in a 24/7 state of lightheadness and wooziness. I am constantly not feeling myself which has heightened my anxiety to new levels. Because my equlibrium is SO off I find myself worrying about my brain and I am hoping some of you can help me out. Even as I sit here and type this I am woozy and off. Below I will post a list of all of my symptoms that come with labyrinthitis.

My GP (and a few Urgent Care docs) have made me do basic testing in their offices (ie: touch your nose, walk, raise your hand, etc) and all looked in my eyes with a flashlight. All of these docs have dismissed me with the same diagnosis (the labyrinthitis).

I have seen an ENT who dismissed it as BPPV (my hearing test was perfect, and he didn't really look at anything else- no scope, no nothing. Just looked in my ears like a GP would and looked down my throat and up my nose as a GP would too). He suggested I get an MRI if I am feeling woozy and told me it was "more to cover" him than me. He seriously told me, "Well, I have been wrong before and if something happens to you five years down the line I don't want you saying "Well Dr.X never told me to get an MRI," so maybe do it if you want." He also gave me info for a balance test place. He never mentioned labyrinthitis or anything of that sort but I was only with him for about 5 minutes total of the whole ordeal. I was SO absolutely put off by his demeanor (not to mention I was so anxious to be there in the first place) that I have not scheduled an MRI or gone for balance tests. This was only last week that I saw him.

I have had a full bloodwork done. Everything is fine. I have had the hearing test which came out fine. I do not have double vision. I do not have slurred speech. I am able to hold conversations. I am just REALLY lightheaded/dizzy/woozy 24/7.

Even with the diagnosis from my GP and other Urgent Care docs, I am still freaking out that I have MS or a brain tumor. I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this? This all came about after me being VERY sick for three days (pretty much a version of the flu- I slept for three days.) Since then I have not been the same. I have been dizzy/woozy/etc. That is how the diagnosis of labyrinthitis came up- apparently it happens in most cases following a bad cold and can last a WHILE.

I am currently experiencing some sinus issues (clogged nose, etc) and remember reading somewhere once that in rare cases a brain tumor mimics sinus signs but can't remember if this is true or not. I have been having on and off sinus issues for a few months with this.

If anyone could lend some advice on tumors or MS I sure would appreciate it.

I have an eye doc appt for 4/18 and a follow up with my GP on 4/22 and if not feeling better by then (would be a full two months), I plan on seeing a different ENT and then a neurologist, just to get this all sorted out. But to hold me over I would love some advice. Before I started feeling like this I was funny, outgoing, active, worked two jobs.. now I can barely make it thru the day without being EXHAUSTED (which I know is a symptom of almost ANYTHING lol!) It's ruining my social life as I fear going out feeling like this and it's ruining my relationship as my SO is subjected to my complaining all the time.. lol.

My labyrinthitis symptoms are as follows:
-Woozy/weird feeling all day/every day
-Tired, find myself ready for bed by 6 pm
-Legs are weaker than normal, sometimes my arms are too
-Headaches coming and going, nothing that causes me excruciating pain
-Crying a lot, very sad (I think this is more twords my anxiety though.. maybe even depression?)
-Lack of concentration sometimes
-Finding the need to escape situations
-Intense fear
-Clogged up ears, especially the right one
-Right ear pops when I swallow almost all the time
-Feeling of uneasiness throughout the day
-Turning my head too fast makes me woozy
-Right side of my face feels weird, also my arm. I wouldn't say numb.. just weird. This comes an goes and is NOT constant
-I'm in a constant state of depersonalization
-I always feel like everything is a dream
-When I walk I feel like things move (the floor or what I'm looking at)
-Ringing in my right ear comes and goes
-Terrified Im dying
-Hard to stay focused on things that are moving
-The lymph nodes under my armpits feel swollen (I think? I just feel like it's right there)

Oh, and I should mention- I was on Lexapro three years ago, switched to Wellbutrin and stopped with the Wellbutrin a year and a half ago. I am on NO medication for anxiety at the moment. My biggest anxiety symptom is the "fight or flight" feeling as I get it almost EVERYWHERE I go!

Thank you to anyone who has had experience with anything I have mentioned and can help me :yesyes:

SarahH
02-04-14, 20:48
I'm sorry that you feel so bad and anxious about your illness. But you really should trust your doctors and/or have the MRI to reassure you. No-one on NMP can diagnose for you, we can only help with anxiety.

Take care

Sarah

Megb4387
02-04-14, 21:15
Hey Sarah- thanks so much for your response. The wait for the MRI is the worst and it's literally ripping me apart. I know nobody can diagnose me, but I definitely just need some kind words of reassurance.. lol. Thanks so much for helping :)

Abi-Skinner
05-04-14, 18:43
Hey,

Sorry your having such a rough time.

Having read through your post above, I just thought I'd try and offer some reassurance. I suffer from GAD and depression, from your list of symptoms above I can safely say of everything listed I have suffered 16 of them as part of GAD and depression, they are all very common symptoms. They can also be worsened by a bout of illness. If your really worried, then maybe an MRA would help ease your worries and help you move on.

Really hope you feel a bit better soon. I had labyrinthitus when I was younger and it's really awful.

joeinjapan
09-04-14, 08:53
Wow Meg, our stories are almost identical, except I'm a man and in a different country! I've been suffering the same as you since early Feb. following a three day bout of something like the flu. I have the same anxieties as you, especially the tumour fear, and am currently waiting for results from an MRI and various other scans and tests. I've seen the eye doctor who said she could find nothing wrong, as well as had a lousy experience with an ENT doc. who basically wasted my time and had a terrible bedside manner. My symptoms seem to be worse at work and a little better in the evenings at home when I'm more relaxed. I hope we find some answers, I want my life back!

ChilliChocolate
09-04-14, 14:39
Hi Meg! I had labyrinthitis last year and it was awful. I sympathise with you. It happened around the time when I got hit at the back of the head by a ball and a week later felt dizzy/nauseus, etc. After inspection by GP they said it was inner ear infection and prescribed me antibiotics and anti dizziness med (sorry forgot what it was called!). Anyway because my initial fear from the head injury wasn't answered and the pain was in that area, I ended up in such a state and going back to the doctor. He sat me down and explained that the pain in my head was a coincidence to the injury and that other signs or symptoms would have appeared if the damage was due to injury. Just shows the price of education, reassurance and bit of time with the GP does - the day after the head pain was gone! The labyrinthitis on the other hand did last a couple of more weeks. But knowing that there was a reason and understanding about the condition meant that I accepted it and no longer worried. Good luck with everything!! x