PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, new here!

Irish Sammie
02-04-14, 17:52
Well hello!

I thought I'd introduce myself here and see if I can provide some sage advice and just be a shoulder to others if needed.

I've been experiencing heightened anxiety for about three months now and I'm finding it pretty hard. Experienced a panic attack just before Christmas and I've not had one since. I've encountered the beginnings for 4 possible attacks but I was able to control them before they elevated to their usual extreme levels.

My situation as of late has meant me spending a lot of time at home, often cooped up in my room and I believe that it was this that was the catalyst to my perceived threat outside of my home (seeing my house as the save haven!). I've been dealing with worrying and stressful situations as of late, and I think my mind hasn't been able to cope with them too well.

My biggest issue so far is pretty bad visual disturbances (tired/dry eyes, water easily when outside, photo-sensitivity, blurred edges on objects and letters, eye strain, headaches, jittery visual perception). This for me, has been the fuse for many of my anxiety boosts, even if I wasn't feeling anxiety to begin with, the poor visual perceptions can create the anxiety, thinking there's something wrong.

This makes it hard for me to be in very busy public places, as it feels like my mind is trying to process so much information, which then makes me feel panicked inside which has lead to the first "stage" of an attack, but I try to regulate my breathing, focus on some random object and try to relax. Thus far it has worked.

I've also just started taking Inderal, which so far has been great, especially in social situations. It keeps me calm so I can keep on exposing myself to situations that my mind has to experience in order to re-align my thought signals when perceiving the supposed "threat" which in actual fact does NOT exist.

I'm starting to learn that willpower and constant exposure to those things that scare you the most is the key to overcoming this. A lot easier said than done, right?

Anyway, I hope I get to know some of you here, and help each other out.

Sam :)

kurtis1990
02-04-14, 18:00
Welcome sam :)

Annie0904
02-04-14, 18:21
Hi Welcome to NMP.

MRS STRESS ED
02-04-14, 19:13
Hello and welcome Sam you will find lots of help and support here ,I always found support xx