PDA

View Full Version : False Guilt/Memories

Dai789
02-04-14, 19:29
REALLY suffering badly with false guilt/lies. My OCD has convinced me that i have done bad things, and hurt my little one. Its devastating to have these thoughts going through my mind and i just cannot stop them. Sometimes i genuinely feel they are real, and the only option for me is prison or harm myself. Once i seem calmer/settled sometime im more myself and realize how ridiculous they are but these times are few and far between. They began late 2012 when my little one was born and went away eventually only to return in January this year. Im on 20mg Fluoxetine (prozac) but after 3 months it just dosent seem to do much anymore.

Anyone had simliar problems and beaten them for good?

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-14, 05:10
Have a look at this off OCD UK's website:

Intrusive Thoughts - Intrusive thoughts, in the spectrum of OCD, are where a person generally suffers with obsessional thoughts that are repetitive, disturbing and often horrific and repugnant in nature. For example, thoughts of causing violent or sexual harm to loved ones.
Because the intrusive thoughts are repetitive and not voluntarily produced, they cause the sufferer extreme distress - the very idea that they are capable of having such thoughts in the first place can be horrifying. However, what we do know is that people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder are the least likely people to actually act on the thoughts, partly because they find them so repugnant and go to great lengths to avoid them and prevent them happening.

Intrusive thoughts can cover absolutely any subject, but the more common areas of OCD related concerns covers the following sub- categories:

Relationships.
Sexual Thoughts - Fear of:
Magical Thinking - believing that:
Religious - believing that:
Violent Thoughts - fear of:
Violent Intrusive Thoughts – obsessive fears of carrying out violent acts against loved ones or other people. Intrusive thoughts include:

Violently harming children or loved ones.
Killing innocent people.
Using kitchen knives and other sharp objects (compulsion will include locking away knives and sharp objects).
Jumping in front of a train or fast moving bus.
Poisoning the food of loved ones (compulsion will include avoiding cooking for family).
Acting on unwanted impulses, e.g. running someone over, stabbing someone.
Thoughts about accidentally touching someone inappropriately, with the aim of hurting them.
Most sufferers with these types of fears often end up labelling themselves as a bad person, simply for having the thoughts. They falsely believe that having the thoughts mean they are capable of acting upon them. The constant analysing and questioning of these disturbing aspects of OCD becomes incredibly upsetting and because of the nature of the thoughts many sufferers are reluctant to open up to health professionals to seek help, fearing they may be labelled.
A person with these types of intrusive thoughts will avoid public places like shopping centres and other places, where social interaction may be required, to avoid coming into close contact with people that may trigger the obsessive thoughts.
To sufferers and non-sufferers alike, the thoughts and fears related to OCD can often seem profoundly shocking . It must be stressed, however, that they are just thoughts, and they are not voluntarily produced. Neither are they fantasies or impulses which will be acted upon.

That seems to describe what you are going through. So, remember that.

I've got GAD & OCD. Aside from using CBT to reduce or eliminate some of my lesser rituals & obsessive thoughts, I came to the conclusion that to treat the harder ones (which weren't reducing) I had to do it indirectly by reducing my GAD so I was less anxious. I then found that I was able to tackle the harder OCD areas.

I indirectly did this with Mindfulness meditation. It's good because it relaxes your mind and you regain control of your thoughts since you practice it by letting your mind wander and bringing it back again if it strays into areas it shouldn't. It also help you to realise that sensations are nothing more than that. It takes time to learn but it can help earlier in some small way at least.

You need to accept yourself, trust yourself and know that you are not a bad person for having these thoughts. You are not thinking them consciously, your subconscious is thinking them in error.

A good way to know this is because you feel bad about them. You wouldn't if you were really a bad person and believe me, I've known some violent people and they would more likely see themselves in a good light or laugh at hurting someone. Thats clearly not you!

Have you asked your GP about therapy? Maybe CBT?

Are there specific triggers for your thoughts? In CBT, you would be asked to find these if possible so you can address your thoughts about them, change them, etc.

Ikaeoph
07-04-14, 05:23
I have just woke up 2 hours ago after a distressing harm OCD nightmare and my OCD is almost convincing me I have done these things... every time I distract myself from it I'm worried that if I don't adress it I will begin to think I really did do what happened in the nightmare. I Understand how you feel right now, sorry I can't offer advice only that I have it too so you are not alone

ykd123
22-12-16, 06:02
I understand these were posted two or so years ago but have you found any way out of it? I've been dealing with similar problems and can't find a way to turn my mind off despite medication/therapy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.