PDA

View Full Version : freaking out about being put under general anastec

Wuboo
02-04-14, 22:21
i was balling like mad to the nurse telling of my fear about this stuff. i gotta have an abcess drained on my butt! im panicing like hell

nomorepanic
02-04-14, 22:27
Why do you need a general for that?

robinsky
02-04-14, 22:28
Is it anaesthesia or do you have a fear of needles?

wabbit1
02-04-14, 22:32
I had my first operation about 2 years ago and was freaking out about the general anaesthetic. Had diazepam while waiting to be taken in and calmed a bit, went through to the anaesthetic room and the nurses were so good that I was much calmer - my BP went down. When I came round I was the most relaxed I had been in months - probably due to the painkillers but the point I'm trying to make is the nurses are used to people being really nervous so they should help you feel at ease.

Anxious_gal
03-04-14, 01:53
I've been under several times and the anxiety is the worst part. There's nothing to it! Tgey either give gas or an injection and the next thing you know you're waking up.

Do yourself the biggest favor by not getting so worked up. I know it's hard but really try to calm yourself.

This needs to be done end of story. Having surgery is a good thing! It's going to get rid of that nasty infection for you :) so be kind to yourself and remind yourself that even though you feel afraid that surgery is a good thing!

What helps me is to tell the nurses I'm nervous and that I'd help if they could talk calmly me and to tell me what's going to happen before it's happening. It helps give you a sense of control and involving when the nurses let you know what's going on.

As for waking up, oxygen masks are lovely so relax and take slow deep breathes. Your throat may be sore from the breathing tube, you may wake up feeling awake or still sleepy, you might have the shivers but this is normal and will go away soon.

Ask the nurses for a sedative, they will gladly give you one :)

You'll have nurses and doctors looking after you. Monitoring your vital signs. You're perfectly safe :)

If you have any pain or discomfort tell the nurses and they'll help. Oh also make sure they give you the call button it's handy to have incase you want a nurse.

Oh you may get sick after but you can ask for medication for this too.

You may be attached to an IV bag after, this can really make you want to a pee a lot so you will need a nurse to walk you to the bathroom as you shouldn't ever get out of bed alone after having surgery even if you feel fine.

It's okay to be scared. Ive had surgery a good few times and the best thing I learned was to just stay calm and to not think about all the scary things. It's nerve wracking knowing you're about to be put to sleep but it take a few seconds n then you wake up as if no time had passed.

I guess the abbcess is pretty angry if they'll be putting you to sleep in order to drain it?

Wuboo
03-04-14, 11:35
as luck would have it they are sending me home with a stronger antibiotic as the abscess seems to be letting nature do its thing. it seems to be draining its self at a steady rate

Rennie1989
03-04-14, 19:45
That's good news.

For future reference, when I was having my wisdom teeth out under general the anaethatist asked me why I was nervous, and I said it was the anaesthetic. He told me that over 90% of patients fear the anaesthetic more than the pain after the operation, it is because we lack control over the experience - somebody controlling our consciousness is quite freaky after all. All I can say is remember that it is a normal fear to have, whether you have an anxiety disorder or not. And once you're under you back to consciousness just as quick!

BikerMatt
03-04-14, 19:54
I bet that's relief. Nice one:yesyes:

Fishmanpa
03-04-14, 20:30
I can tell you from experience, that prior to anything even happening, you're given something to chill you out anyway (if not, ask... they have really good stuff in hospitals!). By the time you get to the OR, you won't have a care in the world ;)

Positive thoughts

MRS STRESS ED
03-04-14, 21:26
Why do you need a general for that?

hi Nicola my niece had exactly the same she had general ,they said it was because it was deep inside her x
very pleased you didnt have to go threw this jayuk20 xx

Lilharry
03-04-14, 21:33
Make sure you take a probiotic as well if you are on antibiotics - antibiotics can wreak havoc with your gut bacteria.

TelBoy
05-04-14, 20:19
Your post made me laugh:D:))) I had one of those years ago, and the nurse said to me that I should wash more often ( cheeky cow):)))
I know what you mean about being put out for it.... I am the same with being put out.... so yer not alone feeling like that... but don't worry about having it done... remember this, once you are out, they can reverse the procedure by giving another injection to bring you round quick if anything was to happen with you while under))