PDA

View Full Version : Renting property

agneskrob
02-04-14, 22:26
Hello my husband and I are trying to find a property to rent. Does anyone know if me receiving ESA payments counts as DSS? We get no housing benefit or council tax reductions the only thing I get is the ESA. My husband is in full time employment and would be the one paying the rent so would we still count as DSS. It seems that it is very difficult to find properties that don't state "no DSS" but there must be other people out there that get some kind of benefit but need to rent. It seems a bit like discrimination to me. Just because you get a benefit does not make you a wrongun, we've always been excellent tenants and never missed any payments. If anyone could shed some light on the matter I would appreciate it, basically does my ESA payment count as DSS? Thank you

Kind regards
Agnes

nomorepanic
02-04-14, 22:27
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

t0rt01se36
02-04-14, 23:49
I am on ESA and I privately rent.

ESA is classed as DSS and there are some letting agents that have some DSS properties.

It might be to do with the owner or Landlords mortgage rules, why Benefit Claimants aren't allowed to have a tenancy in their property.

Moley
03-04-14, 11:42
I would have thought that you wouldn't need to tell them that you are on ESA if what your husband is earning is enough for you to cover the rent.
The only reason they discriminate against DSS is because there is a big tendency for the landlords not to get paid by certain people in this sector. unfortunately anyone on benefits gets tarred with the same brush.

hope you find some where soon.

shotokansho
03-04-14, 14:33
If your husband is earning to pay the rent and you have good references then you wouldn't need to tell them that your on ESA

ChrisScotland
13-06-14, 13:45
Yeah, ESA is classed as DSS, unfortunately.

It's frustrating looking for a decent place to live, but there's not much you can do to change their mind.Only thing I can say is to go in and explain your health problems, some of the estate agents have been good with me.

But if your husband is working, then it shouldn't be a problem for you.