PDA

View Full Version : Massive jump when falling asleep

RVP
03-04-14, 01:48
Literally closed my eyes for 1 minute trying to get to sleep and i had the biggest jolt or electric shock type go through me that it actually made my arm tingle and hurt for a couple of seconds.
Im so tired, but im scared to close my eyes now!
Im getting prickling sensation in both my arms and hands now!

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-14, 05:16
They happen RVP. They tend to go as your anxiety reduces but you still get the odd one and it always seems to be when you are going to sleep.

Think of it when you are nodding off and you suddenly lean forward and wake. You normally wouldn't think anything of it.

It's just that anxiety focusses on pretty much any bodily sensation that it perceives to be unusual.

hanshan
03-04-14, 05:44
Hi RVP,

They're called "hypnic jerks", and are generally regarded as being harmless. People with no anxiety can experience them, but I find that if I'm under stress, I can get quite big ones, with flashes of light and/or twanging sounds.

Catherine S
03-04-14, 12:57
I get those head zappy buzzes sometimes too, they feel very strange and have read that others on the forum get them too. The hypnic jerks I know well and can make my whole body jump on the point of sleep.

SarahH
03-04-14, 13:57
RVP...they are very very common with anxiety sufferers....I get them all the time, particularly when I try to have a nap in the day:whistles:

Sarah