PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis Got Me Down

Tanner40
03-04-14, 12:16
Ugh, and with that, good morning to all. I've been sick for the last four days with spring time allergies that have turned in to bronchitis. Fairly normal for me with the advent of springtime. I've missed the last three days of work and have been laying around the house, watching bad television and reading.

It's always difficult for me, with HA, to separate out the anxiety from the normal "feel bad" of an actual physical ailment. It seems to kick my depression up a notch, which I believe is perfectly normal. I'm going to try and go back to work today and be as productive as I can.

Whenever I get bronchitis in the springtime, I always tell myself that it's time to quit smoking. I know, I know. A person that smokes and that has HA, how ridiculous. Hardest darned thing that I've ever tried to give up.

Any words or advice on quitting smoking is welcome and appreciated. I know, go ahead and let me have it. Just make sure to give me some good cigarette fighting ideas to put in my new tool box.

Fishmanpa
03-04-14, 12:43
Tanner,

Sorry you're not feeling well. Everyone around here seems to be going through something similar. There's definitely a bug going around.

After what I went through? I won't even get into it. I used the e-cig to get off tobacco and had a little more motivation to stop nicotine completely.

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
03-04-14, 12:51
There was an ad campaign over here a few years back and one of the slogans was 'never give up giving up!' and that seemed to get through to me as i'd tried and failed a few times by then...and really did feel like a complete failure, but I tried again and it worked. I did it without the patches etc so can't offer any advice on those, I think it made me nervous of becoming hooked on something else, so it was willpower and the fact that smoking really was starting to hurt me.

Never Give Up Giving Up :)

3tikes
03-04-14, 16:24
Tanner,
Hope you start feeling better. As regards to giving up the weed I'm like Fishmanpa and use the E-cig. I was a 15-20 a day smoker for a little over 20 years and started using the E-cig in March last year. It took a couple of days to get used to it and remember day 3 being the worst but persevered. I'm still using the fake one and need to wean myself off but I can go for a good few hours without thinking about puffing on it.
Give it a try and see how you get on with it.

paula78
03-04-14, 16:36
I'm in the same boat right now, struggling to pack in but have a bad chest, I'm driving myself mad as all my anx is about my lungs, but I smoke to remain calm, viscious circle but getting some proper help asap of gp I've allready convinced myself I have terminal problems due to smoking I'm 35 and have been smoking on and off more on for 17 yrs, if I find a easy way I will be sure to msg u x x

ankietyjoe
03-04-14, 17:03
For the money the average smoker spends on cigarettes, you could almost afford a private therapist every week.......

Anyhoo, I gave up 6 years ago when I found out my partner was pregnant. I knew that was it.

You have to find a reason that you want to give up, because if you don't actually want to give up (I mean REALLY want to) you won't give up.

almamatters
03-04-14, 17:09
Hi Tanner, I have to admit, I always enjoyed smoking but have recently given up due to worries about my chest and lungs. The only thing that has helped me and I have tried tonnes of things, is the electric cigarette. At present I cannot go anywhere without it but I am hoping to slowly cut down. Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

Tanner40
04-04-14, 12:08
Thanks everybody. It seems that I see two common themes running through everyone's answers. You have to find a reason that really resonates with you that you want to quit. And number two, it sounds like the e-cigarette has helped several of you.

Do I want to quit? Yes, but somehow I haven't got it into my heart and head to work together to find the motivation. I know that smoking is hurting me. I can't breathe as well as I should and get short of breath climbing several floors of stairs. It's a terrible habit, but like Alma, unfortunately one that I enjoy. How ridiculous. I'm an intelligent woman and I know better.

As for the e-cigarette, I bought one of the really good ones and don't use it. Did you all totally quit the cigarettes and go straight to the e-cigarette or cut back and slowly incorporate the e-cigarette until that's all you were doing?

I know that smoking does play into my HA and my health in general. Just trying to find one more way of becoming healthier.

cpe1978
04-04-14, 12:31
I have never smoked so can't pretend to imagine how hard it is to give up, and i think as a non smoker there is a danger of coming across a bit pretentious, but here goes.

Personally I think the biggest motivation for me would be an interview I heard with a Dr on the radio this morning who was discussing the fact that the NHS are relaxing rules about liver transplants for people with alcohol induced liver disease. There were lots of members of the public phoning in saying that it shouldnt be allowed, it is self induced etc.

This one Dr phoned in and pretty much said that the vast majority of admissions to hospital and cases that they deal with on a day to day basis can be attributed to 'lifestyle' factors, with smoking being amongst the greatest. I know it is tough, but think about the future and force yourself :)

TooMuchToLiveFor
04-04-14, 13:07
Hey Gal,
So sorry to hear you are feeling poorly! I haven't been around all that much, but was missing chatting with you last night, so was planning on messaging you today.

I don't know if this will help, but my 24 year old brother was in a head on collision on the highway a few years ago. He miraculously survived- and I do mean miraculously in the true sense of the word……during that time the doctors mentioned over and over how if he would have been a smoker he wouldn't have had a chance as it deteriorates our healing abilities. I was even surprised to hear that. We all know it's "bad" for our bodies to smoke, but I don't think we fully comprehend just how bad it truly is.

You are a brave, strong, intelligent woman, and when you get your heart and head lined up together- you absolutely will be able to do this. Would it be worth a visit with your GP to see what kind of help she could offer?

Hope you end up having a good day today, and that your allergies and bronchitis give you a break!

Fishmanpa
04-04-14, 13:10
Thanks everybody. It seems that I see two common themes running through everyone's answers. You have to find a reason that really resonates with you that you want to quit. And number two, it sounds like the e-cigarette has helped several of you.

Do I want to quit? Yes, but somehow I haven't got it into my heart and head to work together to find the motivation. I know that smoking is hurting me. I can't breathe as well as I should and get short of breath climbing several floors of stairs. It's a terrible habit, but like Alma, unfortunately one that I enjoy. How ridiculous. I'm an intelligent woman and I know better.

As for the e-cigarette, I bought one of the really good ones and don't use it. Did you all totally quit the cigarettes and go straight to the e-cigarette or cut back and slowly incorporate the e-cigarette until that's all you were doing?

I know that smoking does play into my HA and my health in general. Just trying to find one more way of becoming healthier.

I was a smoker for 35 years. Cigs, pipe, then cigars. I totally stopped in Aug 2012 and went to the e-cig (South Beach Smoke). As has been stated, it took a couple of days to get used to it but I never went back to tobacco. As of my diagnosis I was down to the extra light cartridge. Even my doctors, while total abstinence was preferred, felt that the e-cig was better than the hundreds of chemicals in tobacco. Like others have said, you get to the point where hours and hours go by where you don't puff on the thing. I went to 0mg nicotine and within two weeks, that was it. I carried it around with me (especially when driving) as I found that the fixation of having something in my hand to fiddle with was part of the addiction (My Chiquita called it my "pencil"). I went totally off the e-cig within two weeks from diagnosis and have done fine.

Not everyone has the motivation I did but most everyone here reading this has the fear of what it can and will do to you. For once, make that fear be beneficial.

I know many here smoke and indeed, it is the most illogical thing I find concerning HA and anxiety in general. I said I enjoyed it too but in reality what I enjoyed and was addicted to was the drug (nicotine). The reality is it stinks. I get somewhat nauseous and can smell a smoker at a distance and now, in retrospect, I can't believe I said I enjoyed it (it was just an excuse and self rationalization). To say it calms your nerves (I used that one too) is valid as the "fix" of nicotine satisfies your body but a Xanax will do the same thing ;) Regardless of anxiety, I'm proof of just how harmful the habit is.

Positive thoughts

almamatters
04-04-14, 19:07
Hi Tanner, I cut down slowly using the e - cig and normal cigarettes then gave the cigs up. I am constantly on my e - cig to be honest. I sometimes wonder if I have just swapped one addiction for another :unsure:

Fishmanpa
04-04-14, 20:37
I cut down slowly using the e - cig and normal cigarettes then gave the cigs up. I am constantly on my e - cig to be honest. I sometimes wonder if I have just swapped one addiction for another :unsure:

As long as you're getting the nicotine (and nicotine is a stimulant and depressant which is not good for anxiety anyway), you're feeding the addictive drug of tobacco. The key is to cut down on the strength of the cartridges so your body becomes accustomed to do without the drug. By the time I got down to the 0%, I was done with it anyway. Like I said, it was more about having something to do with my hands (I'm still always fiddling with a pen).

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
05-04-14, 14:42
Chris, of course you don't sound pretentious. You're help has always been invaluable to me. I know that a huge number of emergency room visits and hospitalizations are totally related to lifestyle choices. I am making a very bad choice with smoking. How I wish that I had never picked up the first one.

Too Much, girl I was just thinking the same thing . I have really missed my friend on here and missed your words of wisdom and humor. You're right in that I have to get my mind and heart on the same page and I know that I can kick this disgusting habit. Sometimes I think, what's the point. It's probably too late and the damage has already been done, so what's the use. Now that is negative thinking at it's best and just the silly rationalization that keeps me from quitting. Sheez.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Fishmanpa, no offense but I would rather not have the motivation that you had. :-). I have smoked for 30 years as well and it seems like an extension of who I am. I know that silly but I have to find a way to get past this and find the motivation that I need to quit.

Alma, thanks for all of the comments and advice. I'm going to get that e-cigarette out today and charge it up and come up with a game plan.

TooMuchToLiveFor
05-04-14, 16:09
Happy Saturday, Tanner!
You know, I was just thinking…..you have conquered so much in the last six months or so…..dealing with your own HA fears while being completely exposed to it through your father's illness. Tackling being on your own for an extended period of time….in March, no less, which is a trigger month for you. And, now,….it seems as if the next thing that is rising up in you is to quit smoking. You must know deep down you are ready to take it on, because you are starting to take about getting a game plan. You are really good about strategizing battle plans against the anxiety dragon, so now just use those same tools to get a plan to stop smoking- as you said, you are charging the e-cig so that is a great first step.
What 's on your agenda for the weekend? We are working on putting the nursery together (finally) for our little girl who just turned 8 months old. Starting with painting. (Hard to believe I've been on the anxiety battle field for six months now- started when Baby E was only two months old.) We are also taking a dear friend out to a birthday dinner tonight. Very eclectic, upscale, tapas-style restaurant with some unique items (duck tongue tacos, octopus, etc.). Should be a fun dining experience. Very nice to not worry I will have trouble leaving the house- although I am still living with a significant amount of anxiety. But, I am LIVING with it. Not just hiding away with it.
My younger brother is really struggling. I'm not sure if he is staying dry or not. He saw an addiction psychiatrist this week and was prescribed Lexapro. Was offered sleeping pills and Xanax too (??? Really? For an addict?), but declined those. However, he is starting to talk about quitting his job as he is so depressed he can't face work. We've been through this many times though, so am wondering if he has actually been fired or is thinking he will be, so is quitting for that reason.
Sorry, Tanner,….I haven't visited with you for awhile, so ended up hijacking your thread just to vent to you! LOL.
Hope you have a great, great day, lady! Big hugs from Kansas!

Fishmanpa
05-04-14, 18:28
Fishmanpa, no offense but I would rather not have the motivation that you had. :-). I have smoked for 30 years as well and it seems like an extension of who I am. I know that silly but I have to find a way to get past this and find the motivation that I need to quit.

Are you kidding? No offense taken at all. I wouldn't wish my motivation on anyone! The way I see it, you've tamed the dragon under the most stressful and emotionally charged situations anyone could possibly go through. Even with a minor blip now and again, you've shown an unparalleled strength and resolve that's inspirational to say the least!

The same way you tackled the anxiety is the way you should tackle smoking. You mapped out a plan for change and to develop new and beneficial habits and stuck to it. The payoff is obvious. I think you'll find that you'll feel better within a week of switching to the e-cig. I remember my chest feeling better and being able to breath easier within a couple weeks. Map out a plan to cut down the amount of nicotine over a specific time frame. The brand I used was South Beach Smoke and they had an automatic shipping system set up so that I was mailed my cartridge supply once a month. That forced me to ration and not just blindly puff away. If I ran out, I ran out so I had a plan in place as to when and where I would "light up" so to speak. A simple phone call was all that was needed to change the strength.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your victory over tobacco :)

Positive thoughts