PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam and depression.

overhead_drums
03-04-14, 16:59
Just a quick question.

A couple of weeks ago I was given diazepam by my GP to help me through the rough ride that Fluoxetine can give you the first week or so. Anyway, it seemed to make me feel ridiculously depressed after the initial numb feeling passed. I only took them for a few days and realised that they made me feel depressed, now I've stopped taking them I feel so much better!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Just to edit I was taking 5mg when needed (i think)...

harasgenster
03-04-14, 17:34
Diazepam is a tranquiliser so I'd be surprised if they made you depressed...might be wrong though...perhaps it's that underneath all of that anxiety you're depressed and when the anxiety goes that's what you're left with? I think that was the case with me. I was kind of 'anxious because I was depressed'.

almamatters
03-04-14, 17:35
Hi I took diazepam for a few months in 2012, I can't remember ever feeling depressed to be honest just weirdly detached from things and out of it. Suppose like most meds they have slightly different effects on different people.

overhead_drums
03-04-14, 18:36
Cheers for the replies guys. I did read something that said valium is kind of alcohol in pill form, obviously no science to back that up. Although Diazepam made me depressed thinking back i was once on bromazepam which really helped the anxiety and didn't make me feel depressed..