PDA

View Full Version : Constant setbacks

Hemps
03-04-14, 21:33
Hi, I have been struggling for over a year with constant anxiety. I take sertraline, diazepam, zoplicone. My doctor wants me to get off the diazepam and have tried cutting down but ended up feeling really horrible and anxious after a few days. I want to get off it but find having pressure to get off it making it really hard. I really thought the antidepressant would help a bit more with my anxiety. I take 3 x 1mg diazepam a day. Sometimes I think it could be the diazepam causing me anxiety, but is quite a low dose?

Anyone else experienced this?

I also feel that at the moment I have constant setbacks where for a few days I feel like crying all the time and very anxious. Can last a few days. I am so freaked out that I am never going to feel better.

xrachykinsx
03-04-14, 21:55
I don't have experience of your medication but I do know the setback feeling well. I've been on my meds (Mirtazapine) for about 12 weeks now, upped my dose at 10weeks and still not feeling very good...I have good days...and then bad days follow and last for like 4-6days!

I can understand your doctor wanting to try get you off the diazepam as I have heard (not sure how true) that it can be very addictive for anxiety sufferers as a relief and then of course it doesn't really help your anxiety when you don't want to take forever. Is it possible to try a different antidepressant if the one you're on isn't doing much? I dabbled with zopiclone and I still to this day blame it for my anxiety rut. I only got anxiety due to not sleeping originally..my doctor gave me zopiclone with no caution..and it just made my insomnia worse and then my anxiety worse- hense why i'm on mirtazapine which is taken at night and helps slightly for sleep, but promotes natural sleep. I have slept every single night 11pm-8am for the last 12 weeks lol xx

jharden
04-04-14, 01:37
Hi Hemps,

Do you see a therapist? Medication can be helpful for anxiety, but it's also important to do some therapy. Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) is very useful for anxiety. Mindfulness, yoga, a healthy diet and exercise also help a lot.

If you've been on your anti-depressant for a year with no improvement, I'd suggest talking to your doctor about changing your dose or trying a new medication. The first few months of medication can be unpredictable, but a whole year without progress is a pretty clear message that something isn't working right. Don't feel bad about that. Many people need to try a few medications before they find one that works for them. I'm currently on my fifth week of citalopram, but I'll definitely change my dosage or medication if I see no improvement after ~12 weeks.

It's a good idea to try and cut back your diazepam use. Your dosage is small, but the regularity of use is what could potentially cause you some discomfort. I have 2mg diazepam tablets as well. However, I only take one if I really need to - which is about once every 7-10 days. Unfortunately it's all about getting to the root of the problem, which diazepam never does. Tapering down from your diazepam use will often make you more anxious temporarily, but plenty of people get through it. Don't quit cold turkey and take your time reducing your dosage.

Hemps
04-04-14, 09:37
Thanks for your advice. I went back to the doctor today and he suggested we change my antidepressant to Effexor. He recommends that it is a really good drug but I haven't heard anything good about it? Really scared it will make my anxiety worse as all SSri's have when I start them. This will be the 3rd antidepressant within a year.

I found citalopram to be an excellent AD but did not work for me this time.

Has anyone had good experiences with Effexor?

You are right also about the diazepam. I am very conscious about getting off it. But my Dr has suggested stabilising on antidepressant first and then slowly weaning of diazepam. Unfortunately I have been on it too long to just stop. So frustrating.

jharden
04-04-14, 10:07
Don't put yourself under too much pressure with the diazepam. It's one of the easier benzos to wean off, and you're also on a very small dose. When it comes time to taper off, do it very slowly and you shouldn't have too much trouble. Even I've had to take a valium tonight due to some really terrible anxiety! It can be very useful in the right circumstances.

Two of my close friends have been on Effexor. It's helped them greatly with their depression, but they weren't anxiety sufferers. I've never taken it myself. My psychologist has also said that it's regarded as one of the most effective anti-depressants available at the moment. It's the go-to prescription for most of the psychiatrists she works with.

Lyrica
05-04-14, 01:46
been on all the tablet you're on. Diazapam help but you cant stay on them. I felt like they where the only thing that helped I was on 2mg 4 times a day. I really hope you find something that help im on trazodone now which is pretty good. Just wish there was a magic pill that fixed anxiety

Gregor
05-04-14, 04:12
Hi Hemps,

I also can't comment on the ADs you're on. I've tried a range, including Citalopram, and i still don't know if they do any good!

I do, however, take Diazepam. I'm well aware of the addictiveness and this frightens me. I have an addictive personality and have been on them for about five years! that is constant usage and now at 2mg 4 times a day. I did at one point get down to one tablet per day and even some days didn't need one. However, that was when i was feeling much better. Now i rely heavily on them just to function day to day.

Am not sure this is helping you really! I just wanted you to know that there are more like you having issues with taking diazepam.

Hemps
06-04-14, 05:03
Thanks for your replys. I am really hoping this new antidepressant will kick in and help with my anxiety.

I am constantly worrying about the diazepam but have spoken to my doctor and we will ease off it very slowly. I also take zoplicone to help with sleep. I feel like I am a walking drug cabinet!

LiveAboveIt
07-04-14, 01:53
Be very careful on Effexor. If you don't taper off correctly when you decide to quit, it can give some people extremely bad withdrawals. It has a very short half-life. However, if you remember to take it at the same time everyday, it can be really helpful for some people.

It helped me a ton when I took it. But I don't think I tapered off slowly enough and it gave me what felt like heroine withdrawals for a good 2-4 weeks.

Hemps
07-04-14, 09:17
Its okay. I don't intend to come off antidepressants, I am on them for life. Every time I have tried I have ended up having to start taking them again no matter how slowly I taper.

I only hope Effexor will work this time!

Hemps
12-04-14, 21:30
Just when I thought I was starting to feel better, another setback. switched to Effexor and did notice any difference for a few days. actually thought I was feeling a bit better. Then bam on Thursday developed vomiting and diaherra and hasn't stopped. Went to dr yesterday as I felt so bad and he reckoned it was just a bug.

I asked him if it could be swapping drugs and he didn't think so. I now feel I am back at square one and I am never going to get over this. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing with swapping drugs?

I just don't think I am every going to get over this. I see a pshycolgist but I feel she doesn't help much and giving me conflicting ideas from the dr.

sorry just had to vent. I just feel one day I am going to have a massive breakdown. My husband tries to understand but I can he is getting sick of the hole thing!