PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to be graphic but whole food pieces in poo

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 13:25
Does anyone else have this? My poo is full of whole pieces of food like it hasn't been digested properly. I have no pain but I am having the camera down both ends soon to see if I have a digestive problem. After I eat I get a lot of palpitations also. It's the heart palpitations that scare me the most, but after I eat I get very gassy. Can a stomach problem cause palpitations??? I am keeping a food diary but it seems all foods trigger the palpitations

Marie36
04-04-14, 14:28
I went through this..would have palps after every evening meal..it almost became a self fulfilling prophecy. I cut out as much caffeine as I could, had smaller meals sitting at the table and started a low does of propranolol...this worked really well. I also suffer with reflux and this may have contributed to it. I think I was also unconsciously panicing every time I ate. Hope things feel brighter soon x

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 14:56
Thanks I am on propranolol and take 80mg but still get the palpitations which is worrying. It's like my heart is beating air bubbles lol they get stuck in my throat

Fishmanpa
04-04-14, 15:44
A poo thread! :D

There are many foods that pass through our system undigested and semi-digested (take corn for instance). Having a digestive system that's out of whack due to stress and anxiety can amplify this and cause many of the symptoms you describe. I'm sure all will be sorted out when you're scoped. In the mean time, try not to get too worried about it. What goes in, eventually comes out on some shape or form.

Positive thoughts

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 15:53
Cheers mate really appreciate the reply. Lol yeah but if an embarrassing thread but hey hi, these questions need asking lol. Yeah be good to have the tests and see if anything comes up. More worried about the palpitations to be honest

HoneyLove
04-04-14, 16:19
Yes stomach problems can cause palpitations, and if you're noticing them after eating then there may well be a connection. I have the same issue, if I overeat, eat foods that cause excess acid, or if I do an activity after eating that crunches my stomach or bending over. It's something to do with acid irritating the nerves near the heart, a cardiologist explained it to me when he was looking at why I get fast heart rates and palpktations.

You could try some anactids to see if they help, or a reflux diet/eating smaller amounts. As long as you've checked it all out with your GP first :)

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 16:33
Thanks honeylove, I take domperidone and lansoprazole but it doesn't seem to help much. It's like so much gas is trapped in my chest and it makes my heart beat weird. It's not painful, just makes me extremely breathless and my heart beat seems weak

HoneyLove
04-04-14, 16:37
Yeah I know the feeling all too well! Reflux can make you feel really strange, so many odd sensations that come with it.

If the meds aren't helping then have a chat with your doctor about it. You need to make sure you're watching what you eat & drink, and how much you eat also.

I don't know anything about the first drug you mentioned, but the second one, the PPI, needs to be taken at regular times every day on an empty stomach about 30 mins before a meal. It can take a couple of weeks to really kick in.

Fishmanpa
04-04-14, 17:17
Just to back my statement about undigested things in poo, I found this article. Scientists can tell a a lot about a person through their poo (what you eat and even what you wipe with!). Doctors can as well ;)

700 year Old Poo (http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/medieval-poop-still-smelling-bad-found-140401.htm)

Positive thoughts

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 17:23
Haha thanks fishmanpa interesting article :)

Honey live, I was on omerapazole for 2 years and been on lansoprazole about a month but sadly this doesn't work. I usually take it an hour before food just to make sure. Seeing the doc on Monday so will have a chat with him. I have started to keep a food and drink diary but everything seems to trigger so it's a bit difficult lol

ankietyjoe
04-04-14, 18:14
When I'm stressed and anxious my digestive system seems to work a lot faster than normal, meaning dinner is ready to say hello the very next morning whether I've digested it properly or not.

One thing I'd also like to add (in a totally untrained capacity) is that you're taking a fair amount of medication. I discovered that most medications seem to have more of an adverse reaction on me than a curative one, and I'm not uncommon in this.

I suffer from reflux now and again and the GP prescribed lansoprazole and it made me feel terrible, almost immediately. Stomach cramps, pain, diarrhea and nausea. This took several days to get back to normal.

I only ever take medication as an absolute last resort as the body is capable of healing itself for the most part (with the obvious exception of true diseases and maladies).

You seem to be in a constant state of panic about your palps (which I do get) and I can tell you that alone is enough to bring on all sorts of other symptoms and bodily reactions.

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 18:23
Yeah think you are right ankietyjoe. Thanks for ur reply. If I didn't have these weird heartbeats and palps I don't think I would be panicking as much, which probably does set off the other symptoms I get. The doctor is going to start weening me off some of the meds cause its hard to know whats a side effect of the meds and what's anxiety at the moment.

ankietyjoe
04-04-14, 18:30
Actually I've just remembered I used to take beta blockers back in about 2007 and they caused me to suffer far more palps than I ever had previously. I'm not saying that's the case for you of course, but it's worth investigating. You've been pretty much given the all clear medically if I recall, so there's no harm in stopping them (I am untrained remember.......) and they're always there if you need them.

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 18:36
Yeah they slow my heart rate down which is nice (sometimes feels to slow) but still get the palps. I think my digestive/reflux causes a lot of the problems, but for the last month i have ate really well. Gas seems to be able to get trapped anywhere from what I read.

House fan
04-04-14, 19:54
Hi, does your heart start to race approximately 30-40 minutes after eating anything, which causes you to walk around feeling your pulse all the time? Does this last for 1-1.5 hours before returning to normal?

Please let me know.

PanicWHU
04-04-14, 20:27
I feel quite sick after eating and my heart starts racing (well as much as it can on beta blockers), then sometimes I cough food up as I have acid reflux. Think it depends what I eat as to how quickly this all starts.