PDA

View Full Version : Valerian help please

cwright
04-04-14, 14:52
I would love to hear some input on valerian. Has it taken the edge off? How has it helped? How much is good to take, and how much will just make you too tired. Thanks for any help
Cindy

Magic
04-04-14, 14:58
Hi Cindy,
I have taken valerian supplements in the past but not done anything for me.
I had side effects, one was severe headaches.
Be careful if you are taking any prescription drugs too.
ask advice from the pharmacy or GP before you take. I always do anyway x

cwright
04-04-14, 15:07
I am not on any other meds right now. Thanks.

Lilharry
07-04-14, 08:41
There's valerian in my bed time herbal tea. It definitely helps me sleep. I don't know anything about it as a supplement though sorry.

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-14, 01:20
I've heard it can take weeks to build up before it starts to work but some people have mentioned it helping earlier.

It often has hops with it which can have a mild sedative type effect I believe. Maybe that helps while the valerian us building up.

Lyric 4Him
07-05-14, 04:59
You will find valerian, as the number 2 anxiety herb, number 1 Kava- Valerian is a hypnotic, a sleep aid, much more so than help for anxiety and Panic attacks. It has been studied and found to be of little effect for attacks, it is fast acting as a sleep aid, slow acting as a sedative, that helps with esp.GAD-It is of no use for Panic attacks, -anxiety attacks.

As a sufferer, and a master herbalist, my specialty is alternative health treatment for mental illness, and addictions. I have found with myself, my Son who is much worse, and my practice, valerian, has little to no help for the anxiety-panic attack help needed. One thing, If you have just GAD, it may be of some help, it is taken different this way, than for a sleep aid. 150Mg max 2-3 times a day for GAD, to sleep it is mixed with other herbs, and the higher, larger amount taken induces sleep, but high intake at one time is not how you should consider using this herb.

It is one of the best herbs to take to stop smoking cigarets.

It is reported from clinical test to have an adverse reaction in 5% of people, meaning, it will cause insomnia, anxiety and such. In my own study, use, practice, I have found that % is much higher around 25%, so there are many, who will have the bad adverse reactions, there seems to be a correlation with those who have a histamine problem, as always the underlying condition is the CNS, a herb, supplement, that will heal, as a tonic the real cause. Some herbs, supplements, give a masking effect, they may help with GAD, or attacks, but it does not help unless you take a CNS tonic, like skull cap, And a few others, like B complex, I have found with most of my clients, and self, calcium-Magnesium, Omega 3 in Chia seeds, vit B complex to have a very high rate of help, Valerian is a nasty tasting herb, it can do just the opposite, and I,others close to me, and in my practice find little if any help from this so called great herb, for GAD-Sleep maybe, but that is about it. I advise any and all, if you try this herb, start low, max 150Mg, you will know right away, and normally a second try is not needed. Great herb, for many things, but not attacks.