PDA

View Full Version : Woke up gasping for air

PanicWHU
05-04-14, 08:57
Has anyone else woke up gasping for air? It's really scary, my heartbeat felt weak and slow and I have constant air bubbles in my throat for the whole day. Really struggling to get a normal breathing rate going

hanshan
05-04-14, 09:46
I have woken up gasping for air. I believe that it's a common anxiety symptom, and does not mean a more serious physical cause.

PanicWHU
05-04-14, 10:03
Thanks, I am on 80mg propranolol sustained release beta blocker, thinking it may be a bit strong for me and I should go back to 40mg

ankietyjoe
05-04-14, 10:27
Happened to me many times.

There is a direct link between reflux and breathing difficulties. It usually manifests itself as not being able to take a full breath and forcing yawns all day for me, but I have woken up many times thinking I can't breathe.

The fact you're sitting up typing probably means it's not really an issue though :)

Beta blockers can effect your breathing though, so I'd look into that asap as well. No need to panic, just get it checked.

PanicWHU
05-04-14, 11:07
Yeah that's interesting cause I notice I yawn a lot during the day. Will speak to doc about it on Monday, cheers

NotCool
05-04-14, 15:42
Well, sleep apnea should be ruled out as well. It's a manageable condition, once discovered, but you would need to do a sleep study for diagnosis.

bingjam
05-04-14, 15:52
Ive had this happen a few time its really unpleasent and I couldnt go back to sleep for a while after, made my heart pound too...

Im not sure what it is though

mummyanxious
05-04-14, 15:56
If its only a one off the likelihood is its just a bad dream or something but agree with notcool. But am I right in thinking people with apnea usually snore?

QUOTE: There is a direct link between reflux and breathing difficulties. It usually manifests itself as not being able to take a full breath and forcing yawns all day for me, but I have woken up many times thinking I can't breathe.

Is this right? Maybe my reflux is adding to my miseries after all.

NotCool
05-04-14, 16:56
If its only a one off the likelihood is its just a bad dream or something but agree with notcool. But am I right in thinking people with apnea usually snore?

QUOTE: There is a direct link between reflux and breathing difficulties. It usually manifests itself as not being able to take a full breath and forcing yawns all day for me, but I have woken up many times thinking I can't breathe.

Is this right? Maybe my reflux is adding to my miseries after all.

The widely accepted thought, that you need to snore to have sleep apnea is a common misconception, which I believed as well, until I started having suspicions that I suffer from this condition, and explored the topic extensively. Also, the correlation between sleep apnea, and breathing difficulties in general, and acid reflux conditions, is believed to be strong. From Web MD: "Some researchers believe that obstructive sleep apnea (http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/understanding-obstructive-sleep-apnea-syndrome) results in airway pressure changes that can cause reflux to occur, yet other researchers believe that the reflux of acids may result in spasms of the vocal cords that can then lead to sleep apnea."

Overall, you won't suffocate in your sleep, but if you do in fact suffer from nocturnal breathing difficulties, you should get a sleep study done, and take action (usually a mask). That stuff can shave years off your life, and is linked with many problems, especially cardiovascular and mental issues if it persists.

mummyanxious
05-04-14, 17:20
Well that's a jolly thought eh?

PanicWHU
05-04-14, 19:42
Lol very jolly. I'm pretty sure I don't have sleep apnea and it is my reflux and anxiety causing this. Hopefully getting a docs appointment on Monday. Gonna speak to him about maybe trying a new reflux med. got nothing to lose :)

mummyanxious
06-04-14, 11:29
I'm just reading a book on hyperventilation syndrome. There's a chapter on sleep

people with HVS are more sensitive to small fluctuations in carbon dioxide levels in their blood....by night it (respiratory centre in the brain) sends out speed up signals to the habitual hyperventilator who may be sinking into relaxed deep breathing during quiet sleep. Feeling sensations similar to the air hunger felt at the start if breathing retraining, the sleeper awakes gasping for air

Do you hyperventilate in the day time that you know of?

PanicWHU
06-04-14, 13:55
Hi mummyanxious, yeah I do a little bit that's why I think my betablocker might be a bit strong. I dropped back to 40mg yesterday and today and feel a lot better. I may sleep with my mouth open also (lovely image lol) so probably swallow a lot of air

mummyanxious
06-04-14, 13:57
Ah that's good to hear then. Maybe discuss with the gp about dropping the dose though.

PanicWHU
06-04-14, 14:03
Yeah hoping to get an appointment tomorrow so will speak to him then :)