PDA

View Full Version : I need big help for my mom !!

dario8787
06-04-14, 08:03
I need help !

10 days ago my mom started acting in this way:

She become angry at anything, her face become red, started talking about something that does not have sense, if I ask her something she gets very agitated, start smoking 1-2 packs of cigarettes daily , she sleeps only 3-5 hours now......

We went to doctor 3 days ago and he prescribed sertraline 50mg and trazodone 50mg.

Things are getting worse each day, now she is doing all kind of "crazy" stuff,throwing food from fridge into garbage (saying food is too old), opening every window (saying we need frash air)....etc...

Most important thing: She is like this ALL the time, 50% of time its impossible to talk to her (cusz she is talking what she wants), another 50% she is doing all other stuff I mentioned above.).
She never acts NORMAL,like she did before this started.

Before all this she was perfectly normal,maybe once -twice a year she was in very bad mood but that lasted only one-two day.

My biggest concern and what I would like to get answer is this:

Why this last so long?
Why is so severe?
Is there anyone else here who had family member with same symptoms? Will she be back to normal and how long it takes?

Reading past 2 days about this I cant find anywhere that someone had so severe symptoms.
She turned from normal person into this in one day!
She lost complitly feeling about what is going on around her.
Me and my wife have to be all the time with her in our house because she will do something bad if she see us outside.

I cried a lot today because i feel helpless. Doctor says "it happens", that's "normal when you have Anxiety"....

But is it really normal?

We think she was worry about her brother who is sick, but his sickness is not life threatening. We are waiting for blood results and MRI.

And I would like to mention again, she is feeling like that all the time, its not like this happens few times a day...

We have to watch her 24 hours a day

Annie0904
06-04-14, 11:30
If she only started medication a few days ago then it will take a few weeks for it to show any benefit. Hopefully with the right medication and possibly some therapy treatment your Mum will begin to improve.

Edie
06-04-14, 17:42
I'm sorry this is happening. It must be very worrying! It's not common for someone to just suddenly change like this, but people can sometimes hold things together for a while and then it all just gets too much. Does your mother have a history of mental health difficulties at all?

PanchoGoz
06-04-14, 18:21
How old is she? Menopause? Dementia? Not trying to worry you but possibilites, not enough info on her to go on really

dario8787
07-04-14, 02:13
We are going to stop sertraline today and tomorrow im going to make appointment with Psychiatrist.

This is just too much.

I understand that medicine can take time but this is just out of control.

Now she got diarrhea too.

And im not sure if I should call this Anxiety.

I mean, when I read posts here about Anxiety or Depression people with that condition are still able to understand what is going on and post here about it but my mom just can not think about anything. She cant answer questions in clear way,she is confused, and most important she is agitated.....

Is there any tranquilizer for anxiety?

she is 65

clarisse
07-04-14, 02:51
There are many metabolic causes that can make someone act like this.
Also the side effects of the medication will often cause symptoms to worsen.The upset stomach is probably down to the meds too.
Did she have a full blood test to see if her symptoms were being caused by any of the following? If not I would certainly be asking her Dr to check these out first before prescribing Antidepressants like Sertraline.

Endocrine disorders, such as Addison's disease or Cushing's disease
Heavy metal exposure, such as to lead, arsenic, mercury, or manganese
Repeat episodes of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), most often seen in people with diabetes who use insulin
Hyperparathyroidism, which is very high levels of calcium in the blood
Hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone) or thyrotoxicosis (very high levels of thyroid hormone in the body)
Liver cirrhosis
Porphyria
Nutritional disorders, such as vitamin B1 deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, pellagra, or protein-calorie malnutrition

It also may be all due to Anxiety/Depression but the current Meds seem to be making her a lot worse.Some of her symptoms seem very bizzare so I can understand how upsetting this must be for you.
I do hope things are resolved soon.
Dr may give her something like Valium /Diazapam to help settle her and calm her down.
Depends on the Dr as these are addictive if taken for a long time.T/c

MyNameIsTerry
07-04-14, 05:23
Hi Dario,

I think you are doing the right thing by getting her to someone again.

The severity you are describing seems more than anxiety. As you said, she can't understand what is happening.

I think you need to think about how she has been over the previous months. Have there been any changes in how or what she does, how she talks & relates to you, etc.

If it's anxiety, keep posting and people will help you. I'm just concerned that given the sudden onset and the fact she seems to be unaware of things around her, that this is something else.

There are sedative type medications that doctors can prescribe but they tend to be habit forming so they have to be careful in how they administer them. SSRI/SRNI's like you have now are non habit forming types so can be taken over longer periods to stabilise mood. Side effects, which can be bad, are likely but if they are making her react in this extreme fashion could be intensifying a problem that needs a different type of medication.

If you are afraid for her safety, I would suggest you mention this because you may need some professional support while you get her stabilised.

I would suggest you continue to keep an eye on her until you can get to that appointment.

We can't diagnose on here, no ones as medical expert, but I think you need a more accurate diagnosis and to consider other mental health conditions.