PDA

View Full Version : Advice on exercise

ChilliChocolate
06-04-14, 11:53
Hi NMPer's,

Are you able to offer me a bit of advice or motivation on exercise please?

Before the panic attacks I had been exercising for approx. 6 months. I had lost a lot of weight and felt amazing. However I started to get dizzy spells which I feel was linked to over doing it and excessive dieting. This then was the beginning of my anxiety spiral as I felt something was wrong with me. I stopped exercising and started eating sugary items again. My anxiety spiralled until approx. 6 weeks ago I had a breakdown. So now I am on citalopram (10mg) and my body still feels on edge. It feels like it needs a release of energy. Problem is however I always feel worse after exerting myself. I've started to get around the house a bit more, cleaning and hovering. I've not done any big walks yet. My levels feel so out of sync and I am unsure what is the best way to move forward. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did they deal with it?

The citalopram was sort of helped me. I'm starting to think about things a lot more rationally now and even though I'm feeling increased anxiety, I am able to cope and understand what is happening to my body.

Many thanks!

CC x

Oosh
06-04-14, 12:09
I've occasionally had bad reactions to types of exercise. Ie
Running feels like your metabolism speeds up which can increase nervousness and anxiety to some degree.

Weight training can be followed by tiredness, as your body rebuilds broken tissue, which can make you more vulnerable to low mood, anxiety. Rest between doing it is very important and knowing your limits.

I've always owned an exercise bike. I've found it very handy. Alter it's resistance depending on how much stamina you feel you have. It keeps your joints moving well and pumps the dirty blood out and the new fresh oxygenated blood in leaving you feeling better, clearer later.

But, for me, getting walking boots on, getting outside and walking gives me the most "positive only" experience.
Whether that's due to fresh air, daylight, I don't know.
As you feel stronger do a walk with some inclines in it. It's an excellent way to increase fitness quick, but build up to it.

Swimming is good too. There's usually a swimming pool nearby. I always get annoyed at everyone having to share the lanes though. Find out when it's quiet and go at your own pace.

ChilliChocolate
06-04-14, 13:15
Cheers for that Oosh! I've taken your advice and went out for a walk around the block. Only 10 minutes but surprisingly it felt really good. The weather was perfect - slightly drizzly yet a cool breeze on the air. When I returned, I looked in the mirror and had rosy cheeks! A major change to my dull grey complexion since this all of this anxiety started.

I did a lot of cardio workouts (squash, circuit training, etc) when losing the weight so really I'm unsure if my body is craving that again. Or I'm completely wrong and this edginess is just excess anxiety. My panic attacks seem to be controlled now however there is this underlying current of energy. When will it go?!

I'm SO determined not be affected by this anymore. Thanks for the tip also re knowing my limits. That is definitely the hard part!

RobW73!
06-04-14, 13:37
I would recommend Pilates or swimming. Both have helped me cope with depression and anxiety in the past.

ChilliChocolate
06-04-14, 14:17
Thanks Rob! Lol, I love the idea of swimming but it is something that I have never learned before. :blush:

Pilates though sounds wonderful. Isn't it rather complex though? Exercising the core and intricate muscle groups; it sounds like hard work.

RobW73!
06-04-14, 14:35
Hi ChilliChocolate, Put it this way; I have no co-ordination, i'm 40 and still have trouble telling left from right and I can do it! It's actually very relaxing and the pace for beginners is slow and steady. But you do feel it afterwards.

Haloes
06-04-14, 23:38
One thing that I use when trying to get back into working out after a lot of anxiety bouts is Yoga/Pilates. It is an easy and effective way to keep everything in check and balanced but still get good exercise. It helps me reset my equilibrium as well so if I feel off kilter I go straight to yoga. Or if you enjoy cardio a lot I would recommend very relaxing music or electronic books while walking. It helps keep the mind off of any physical signals that might cause anxiety, such as increased heart rate, and lets you relax. I personally use musicals or love ballads and will sing while I walk. It helps keep my breath consistent and low in the diaphragm, keeps my mind off of my physical signals, ensures I talk out loud at least once during the day and increases endorphin levels. =)

rachybabe
06-04-14, 23:45
I do linedancing, I love it, and ive lost 3 stone doing it.

MyNameIsTerry
07-04-14, 04:51
Why not try something like Tai Chi or QiGong?

Mindfulness meditation is something that is really recommened for anxiety & depression and both of those have elements of meditation to them - it's just movement based.

QiGong I know has anxiety based or depreasion based routines i.e. one gets you moving, the other aims to calm you down. Thats only from a couple of routines I've read about so there will be a lot more out there.

Also, do loook into Mindfulness meditation. It takes time to learn but it will help you to gain more control of your thoughs and learn to distance yourself from sensations. CBT therapists recommend it. It has all sorts of benefits, even to your immune system.

You are only 6 weeks into medication anyway. Going on anti depressants is known to affect your ability. You can be more tired or more wired or combinations of the two. So, don't be to hard on yourself at the moment as you could still be getting past the side effects...GP's might say 3-4 weeks for SE's but they affect everyone differently so can it can take more time or even less time to get past this.

In terms of exercise other than the above, walking is the best right now. Getting outside and especially around nature will help with your mood.

Once you feel strong enough, move on. QiGong I mentioned is a quicker more gently form so that might be an option and there are loads of classes, DVD's, free downloads, etc.

In terms of harder exercise once you are up to it, you don't have to stick to aerobic types unless you like team sports. You could always try bodyweight work or HIIT (HIIT is hard though, so not until you feel much stronger). These will build muscle as well as tax your aerobic side and build flexibility.

ChilliChocolate
07-04-14, 09:54
Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate your opinions. There are loads of suggestions I can start looking into.

Saying that Fitness TV (Sky 262?) has just been showing beginners pilates, yoga and tai chi. A good starting point as I don't feel strong enough to get out to a class. Thanks again!!!

mummyanxious
09-04-14, 13:11
I'm having trouble with exertion atm. Anything sets off the adrenalin feelings my body doesn't like, even doing housework. I'm desperate to get fitter but I feel awful after exercise.
Yoga is great usually for me. It builds lean muscle rather than bulk and is relaxing as well. My body is in a constant state of high alert I don't know how to switch it off!
How do people who are afraid of the feelings of adrenalin do exercise???

Lluna
09-04-14, 17:29
I used to do all sorts of exercise ( spinning, circuit training, running, etc) every day of the week but Sundays. I stopped going to the gym when I started my last bout of anxiety. I couldn't face the feeling of my heart racing fast as it used to set me off. I was very aware that I needed to start doing some exercise as doing it regularly, 30 minutes each day, has effect on your hormones and suppresses negative thoughts.
I then decided to start on pilates and yoga beginners and it has help me lots. I do pilates twice a week and yoga twice a week as well. Also I go swimming now and then. I find the floating feeling of being in the water very relaxing.
All this exercises are very subtle and won't set you off but you work out a lot!

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-14, 01:02
Don't run before you can walk is good advice MA. Build up with lower intensity which is why I think walking is a good start.

Doing too much too soon can sometimes just reinforce the anxiety. If you build up to it, its not such a big step.

The first time I did some hard exercise, I was anxious, plus it was in a gym so there are others worries. I felt it, but I just kept pushing and told myself it was normal.

I had some of first real PA's during weight training so this was a big problem for me, but you have more chance of tolerating the sensations if you build up to it first.

ChilliChocolate
10-04-14, 10:58
Great advice everyone - thanks! This week I have been going for little brisk walks. 15 minutes around the town just to get the heart pumping a little bit. This has certainly boosted my confidence.

MA - what are you like with walking? I suppose this week for the first time I am starting to think that adrenaline is a necessary hormone for the body. It also needs to be expended somehow. Thinking of positive ways to release it and building up endurance will be a fine balance but I'm sure it will come for us both. :hugs:

blue moon
10-04-14, 12:05
Hi

I like walking just to be ôutside and breath in fresh air has calming effect for me(that is if I don't get attacked by sandflies or mozzies.....lol. I do have walking machine and exercise bike but rarely use them.

Petra :D