PDA

View Full Version : Panicking over my 3 year old son - lump

Kirbear
06-04-14, 20:31
So, trying to be good and not panic about everything and I am due to start treatment for HA on the 17th. All good so far.

Anyway, just cuddling up to my son and find a long firm lump just under his jaw line in line with his ear. I haven't googled yet but I know from when my HA first arose it was to do with a neck lump so I am obviously in a state now!

He has a cough and snotty nose so I'd like to think it's just to do with that but can they only swell on one side? It doesn't seem to be painful either (he won't let me prod but if I ask if it hurts he says no). He mentioned earlier that his ear hurt too but hasn't said anything on that matter since.

Annie0904
06-04-14, 20:33
My son has a similar lump when he was small, it disappeared in time. If you are concerned get it checked out by your doctor. x

AlexandriaUK
06-04-14, 20:49
Sounds like he has a cold which can cause his glands to enlarge slightly but nothing to worry about, I have 5 children and It was a common event, give It a couple of days.
Try not to worry x

Kirbear
06-04-14, 20:53
Thanks guys! Just had a mini break down on my husband! Lol

Just panicked as it's one sided, will keep eye on it.

anxious24/7
06-04-14, 20:56
Awww, isn't the worry horrible? If he's sick,the enlarged lymph node is most likely normal. Give it a few weeks and see if it's goes down. HUGS!!

Florance
06-04-14, 21:02
its likely to be due to the cold, and swollen glands during infections are more noticeable on kids then adults due to them generally having less body fat! It will subside once the infection does :)

Kirbear
06-04-14, 21:12
Thank you! I bloody hate anxiety :weep:

robin321
07-04-14, 00:17
My 3 year old also has a neck lump, just under his ear. I know how you feel...

He had one a few months ago, and I took him to the dr. The dr wasn't concerned at all, and said he prob was sick - or about to be sick. And sure enough he got the flu.

Now he has it again, with runny nose and sore ears.

If both our kids have it, chances are it is normal

maribel
07-04-14, 00:23
Even when you have a cold and check your throat, one side is worse than the other. I know that if I look at my tonsils when I have a cold that one tonsil is a LOT more red than the other. So too with lymph nodes I would imagine (well, isn't a tonsil a lymph node anyway?) So relax until his cold goes away, the node will most likely go down too.

Montana2
07-04-14, 06:59
My 13 year old has a lump on the side of his neck too. It is over 1cm. Not painfull and rolls around when touched. After blood test and scan, it turned out to be a reactive node that did not go back to normal size after an infection. Apparently not that uncommon.

This might be what is going on with your little one, specially if he is fighting a virus.

I nearly drove my self crazy with worry this past month. So, I know how you feel. Please try to relax as chance of this being something worrysome is EXTREMELY low.

Kirbear
07-04-14, 10:14
This one doesn't move about when I touch it but it depends on what position his head is in as to where I can feel it most so I guess it kind of moves.

Thanks for advice everyone it means a lot

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

This one doesn't roll but it's not as prominent in some positions his head is in as it is in others so I guess that means it moves

Kirbear
08-04-14, 17:22
I've made an appt with the dr as can't stop poking it! Can't get in until the 28th though so if it does go down I will cancel it!!