PDA

View Full Version : Got my neurology appt

DaisyP
06-04-14, 21:02
So my health anxiety is terrible today, I had a few drinks last night and my HA skyrockets the next day. What's the connection between alcohol and anxiety, does anybody know?

So I have my neurology appt on the 17th because of the weird symptoms I've been having. I've convinced myself entirely it's MS, it's so hard trying to stay calm until my appt.

The pins and needles are getting slightly better and there are days it isn't there at all, but the numb toes are freaking me out! I know there isn't any point worrying as I can't change the outcome but the waiting is the worst :-(

Serenity1990
06-04-14, 21:11
You're lucky getting one so soon, I'm guessing you went private. As per your previous thread I'm sure it'll turn out ok, but hearing that from a neuro should help put your mind at rest. :)

Fishmanpa
06-04-14, 21:15
So my health anxiety is terrible today, I had a few drinks last night and my HA skyrockets the next day. What's the connection between alcohol and anxiety, does anybody know?(

If you're going to Google something, Google anxiety and alcohol and you'll see page after page correlating alcohol and the negative effect it has on anxiety sufferers. It's straight up and obvious. Alcohol an anxiety don't mix, especially if you're taking meds. Best to avoid it totally.

Positive thoughts

DaisyP
06-04-14, 21:18
Serenity, yes I went private in the end. I'm getting married in October & MS worries are my every living & breathing thought so I want to get it sorted and get the reassurance I need. I just hope it's positive mews? How are you now?

I've avoided alcohol for weeks now but had a hen do last night so had a few drinks. I'm avoiding it totally now until neurology appt. in fact maybe for a while after too!

Serenity1990
06-04-14, 21:56
Last week I was convinced, more so than ever, that I had MS. I did loads of reading about it and found that those who have treated it with a particular diet designed by a renowned neurologist experienced over a 90% success rate, and I read several stories of people who spent decades in wheelchairs who are now absolutely fine with clear (or nearly clear) MRIs.

I also read about the recent stem cell research on the condition, and that in one study of 28 humans all were cured. What scared me most about MS was the idea of having it forever, but whilst I realised these treatments will take a decade or so to become available they WILL become available.

Once I digested these facts I woke up suddenly feeling exponentially better. Which in itself made me realise much of this is somatoform and anxiety.

So as it stands, I've convinced myself over the past four months I've had numerous illnesses, which is a hallmark of health anxiety. I've had a huge variety of symptoms pretty much all over my body, which would be pretty inconsistent with MS. I have a negative test for celiac, which means my probability of having MS is less than half anyway. I have had a completely normal brain MRI, albeit without the contrast, which decreases the chances further.

I could go on. The thing health anxiety-ers love about MS is you can never definitively tell anyone they haven't got it, as there is no precise test for it. But my chances are pretty small, and from your previous threads your chances are even smaller. But even in the very unlikely event you do have it, you've got a 90% chance of kicking it out with simple dietary changes. :)

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

BTW feel free to drop me a PM any time, it's good to build a rapport with those going through the same crap! :)

DaisyP
07-04-14, 10:02
Hi Serenity, thanks for your reply. I will PM you :)