PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause a SORE throat symptom?

reddevil
02-12-06, 10:22
Hello all,

The reason I’m back to the forum, I appear to have a strange anxiety symptom, which is not mentioned in any of my anxiety reference books at home and I was wondering if any other anxiety sufferers experience this symptom.

I posted on the forum about a month ago about this symptom, which I was experiencing and the doctor said no signs of anything growing or cancer (to put my mind at rest).

As it happens, I discovered a lump on my neck, which as if it was magic, the throat soreness disappeared any my anxiety levels focused on this lump on the neck.

Well, to cut a story short, the lump has disappeared and I was at and the chap who sits next to me was moaning (not a nice word but true) about his sore throat. Well, I started to think to myself “I hope I don’t get it” but by magic I felt something when I swallowed and then my brain focused on the throat and for the last 5 days I have had this sore throat symptom.

It does not hurt when I swallow but it feels like a constant soreness. Sucking a sweet gets rid of the soreness, so does eating and drinking and as the evening gets later (11pm – 12am), the throat settles down (it’s as if my brain can not be bothered anymore at that time of the night).

Hope I did not go on too much, but I would just like to know if anybody else sufferers with this symptom and is their any reassurance?

Red

mick
02-12-06, 10:41
hi Red
i had a sore throat for months some time back and i thought i had a bad illness, i kept going to the doctors who said i had a bug he said theres alot of it going about,or its anxiety,of course i didnt believe him but eventually it went away so there you go,at the moment im panicking about sinuses and tension headaches ive noticed that we seem to have common symptons m8 from reading n.m.p lately i know its anxiety causing this but sometimes it really gets you down doasnt it? its hard for us blokes to handle it at times as we are ment to be strong and tough in societys eyes im allways asking my wife for reassurance but it can be hard on her,sorry m8 ive ditracted a bit p.m me if you want anytime and im sure your sore throat is anxiety
Mick

peach
02-12-06, 12:12
hello!
just to let you know, i have a sore throat that has now been around for about 2 months so far..also dry at times and a constant lump...it is eased by eating and not there when i wake, but returns soon after..i too have been to the doc a few times now, and she said it also is stress..im trying not to think about it, tho i have times when i freak out a bit and my mind thinks the worst possible..but for now im trying to hangin there and heal myself..cross fingers...sucking on soothers helps temporarliy..
you will actually find a lot of ppl in here with these symptoms...apparently it is one of the main symptoms of anxiety...so take care..and you are definatly not alone in this..

halfwayhome
02-12-06, 12:23
Honestly? It seems anxiety can cause ANYTHING.
Anxiety caused my sore throat because anxiety caused me to not eat (still is.) which caused me to have a dry throat which then caused a sore throat. It's insane what anxiety can do to you.

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

xoxox

rb1978
03-12-06, 16:22
I think it can cause a sore/dry throat. I've only recently recognised the fact I have a problem with heath anxiety but, looking back years ago, I remember I always used to dread getting coughs and colds. Well who doesn't but I would dwell on it if something big was coming up like a birthday, holiday or Christmas. But whenever anyone at work/school admitted to having a cold or sore throat I used to develop one. Not a cold, just throat dryness and discomfort that wouldn't turn into the cold itself. Reason being, well I think so anyway, that I'd be sat there thinking "have I got it? have I got it?" and swallowing and thinking "does that hurt?" I really think focussing on anything is half the problem.

Daisybun
05-12-06, 18:44
Hi Red, I think I spoke to you about this. I had a lump in my throat and sore throats for about four months. My friend also had the same thing. We both had a scope to look into our throats. Nothing wrong. We were told it was stress and anxiety. It causes the throst to tighten and this causes tension in the throat and neck, which then causes problems when speaking all the time as the muscles don't relax. This then causes soreness. Relax your throat, exercise your neck area.
Hope this helps

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

mdoomsday
25-11-12, 21:17
Hello all,

The reason I’m back to the forum, I appear to have a strange anxiety symptom, which is not mentioned in any of my anxiety reference books at home and I was wondering if any other anxiety sufferers experience this symptom.

I posted on the forum about a month ago about this symptom, which I was experiencing and the doctor said no signs of anything growing or cancer (to put my mind at rest).

As it happens, I discovered a lump on my neck, which as if it was magic, the throat soreness disappeared any my anxiety levels focused on this lump on the neck.

Well, to cut a story short, the lump has disappeared and I was at and the chap who sits next to me was moaning (not a nice word but true) about his sore throat. Well, I started to think to myself “I hope I don’t get it” but by magic I felt something when I swallowed and then my brain focused on the throat and for the last 5 days I have had this sore throat symptom.

It does not hurt when I swallow but it feels like a constant soreness. Sucking a sweet gets rid of the soreness, so does eating and drinking and as the evening gets later (11pm – 12am), the throat settles down (it’s as if my brain can not be bothered anymore at that time of the night).

Hope I did not go on too much, but I would just like to know if anybody else sufferers with this symptom and is their any reassurance?

Red
i have the same issue as you red....

DavidCQ
28-07-15, 00:30
I am having a very similar thing.

I have had a sore throat for over 3 months that has now progressed to make my voice hoarse. The doctor has run loads of tests on me all of which have come back negative.

I on the other hand and certain I have lung cancer and the more I read about lung cancer the more I feel the symptoms.

I also have a numbness throughout my body which is also associated with lung cancer.

Even after the Doctor today said that nothing was wrong I went home and have tried to book up tests with a world leading cancer hospital.

The sore throat has brought on panic attacks which have been happening for the last 3 months.

I am not sure if my back pain is real or part of the anxiety that I am creating. I keep thinking to myself did I tell the Doctor everything or did I miss something out which is why I am getting the negative results.

yodascat
22-08-15, 04:34
Had sore throats fro ages and they come and go and I find it correlates with my anxiety levels - coincidence? :P

Hazelnut
07-09-15, 23:21
Reassuring to see that I'm not the only one experiencing a slightly sore throat. This started happening a few days ago. Sometimes my tongue feels a little sore, too - anyone else had this?

Lea-nne82
22-09-15, 16:34
Hello,

I have recently being diagnosed with anxiety. I have always felt I was a very anxious person. Although recently things have got a lot worse. I now have the more common symptoms such as psoriasis and lack of sleep etc. However I have also had a sore throat now for around six months. I have had all the test and my doctor and the ENT doctors have both said my throat is not sore. It is so frustrating because I wake up every morning with a sore feeling in my throat. It feels muscular more than "sore" or an infection it's as if all the muscles inside hurt when I swallow. I have been reasured a little after reading these posts and realising some of you have also experienced the same thing. One doctor explained to me that with anxiety and the way I am breathing when anxious, acid can be formed. With acid reflux the muscles in the oesophagus and throat work "overtime" trying to return the acid back down to the stomach if that makes sense. I was told when they looked with a camera the muscles were swollen due to this. I hope this helps reassure some people, as I have been so worried and goggle this many times. Also I was taking a lot of ibuprofen because of the throat pain and he also said this table is really bad for producing acid.

Leanne

venusbluejeans
22-09-15, 17:38
Anxiety doesn't cause a sore throat as such...... Anxiety causes you to be run down which makes you more prone to having a sore throat, cold/flu symptoms

shasui2
17-10-15, 16:43
hi Red
i had a sore throat for months some time back and i thought i had a bad illness, i kept going to the doctors who said i had a bug he said theres alot of it going about,or its anxiety,of course i didnt believe him but eventually it went away so there you go,at the moment im panicking about sinuses and tension headaches ive noticed that we seem to have common symptons m8 from reading n.m.p lately i know its anxiety causing this but sometimes it really gets you down doasnt it? its hard for us blokes to handle it at times as we are ment to be strong and tough in societys eyes im allways asking my wife for reassurance but it can be hard on her,sorry m8 ive ditracted a bit p.m me if you want anytime and im sure your sore throat is anxiety
Mick

+1 on the meant to be a man part. It's the cause of much inner turmoil these days. For others as well im sure.

Muffy
16-01-18, 05:41
I have now had a chronic sore throat for THREE YEARS!!!! The doctors/hospital have tested me for every possible cause, I've had cameras down my nose and into my throat, twice! Swabs taken, allergies checked, changed my diet, blah blah, everything!! They even offered me a tonsillectomy. But it literally just dawned on me tonight (4am and can't sleep because my throat is so sore) - what if it's anxiety?!! So I googled and ended up here ..coincidently for the past three years I've been at uni - I suffer crippling social anxiety and my group at uni is small (10 people) and we are constantly sat in circles having discussions and having to speak to a group - anyone else with social anxiety will feel my pain here. My anxiety gets so bad at uni most the time I'm there that often I feel like I'll pas out if my heart pounds any harder, and regularly I have to just leave and go home. I also never sleep before a uni day - which can't be good for overall health. So yeah, now I'm really wondering if anxiety has been the cause of my chronic sore throats all along!! I guess we'll find out when uni finishes in a few months. I wanted to share my story anyway in case it helps someone else

WiseMonkey
16-01-18, 08:15
Reassuring to see that I'm not the only one experiencing a slightly sore throat. This started happening a few days ago. Sometimes my tongue feels a little sore, too - anyone else had this?

Yes, I've had this with the base of my tongue also. I'm a relieving teacher so tend to get lots of germs, last year was a shocker! I had a sore throat (it would swap from side to side), on and off for several months, antibiotics didn't work but anti inflammatories did. It only disappeared when the holidays arrived and I could relax and get more sleep.