PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes swollen for years

Twinmommy1514
07-04-14, 04:54
Hi I'm a 23 year old female (new mommy to twins). I have severe health anxiety and take zoloft.my biggest fear for 4 years now is lymphoma. I have a few palpable lymph nodes on my body in different parts. They aren't huge and haven't grown over the years. I first felt one on the side of my neck at 15. From what I can remember it hasn't really grown. My lymph nodes are not painful. I've been to the dr several times... All the drs I've been to are not concerned my blood work is fine only once was my white blood count elevated but not enough to worry then it went back down the next time. Every dr I've been to will not do a biposy they say they are too small and insurance may not cover it bc of their size. They also say the one on my neck would be huge within a couple years and it's been 8 years now with that one. Sometimes I get itchy but only when I'm focusing on lymohoma because I know it's a symptom. I just wanted to know if anyone else can relate. I had terrible allergies growing up and chronic sinus problems but I have the lymph node in my armpit too forever that was ultrasound.

Masqued
07-04-14, 14:07
I have multiple lymph glands that never went down.
They came up in my early 20's and are still there in my thirties.
You will know when there is something wrong because they will keep growing rapidly or be a "lumpy" lump or other associated symptoms. Glands that hang around are mosy benign.

Fishmanpa
07-04-14, 15:03
What you have to hold onto is the fact that the nodes have been swollen for "years". That and a doctor that feels it's not a concern. If indeed it was sinister, you would probably not be here or at the very least very ill.

Positive thoughts

jab1982
07-04-14, 18:56
I have the same fear. I had a friend who passed away from lymphoma in November of 2013. Since then I have been obsessed with lymphnodes. I found two palpable near my right ear and two on the right side of my neck. They are very small. I have been to the doctor a total of 4 times since January to have him check them. He explained that I happen to have some palpable lymphnodes. The two sides of our bodies will not always be the same. Mine have not changed in the past 3 months. And they have likely been palpable for years. I only just went looking for them in January.

Relax and trust your physician. She/he is an educated professional.

Twinmommy1514
09-04-14, 00:55
Thanks everyone! I hate being like this. My dad has it as well but he controls of better than me he takes medicine and does well. Zoloft isn't helping me I don't think. What else can I do to help me beside medication

svenkuijper
10-05-15, 15:51
i think in everyone is one or more palpable lymphnode. If its underneatch 1cm or just 1cm, its good movable, feeling rubbery you don't have to worry. BELIEVE ME. and trust your doc.

Liv7117
10-05-15, 18:39
Hi, I've had multiple, hard lymph nodes/glands for close to 4 years now. Both my submandibular glands are swollen as well as a small lymph node on the left side of my neck and one right above my right collarbone. My doctor says it is normal for some people to have palpable lymph nodes. I am also on Zoloft and find that taking it in addition to therapy is very helpful in dealing with my HA. Good luck, I hope I helped to put your mind at ease:)

ktdid2000
11-05-15, 16:04
My son has a palpable lymph node behind his ear that came up after a bad ear infection. It has never gone back down in a year and I'm assuming likely never will!

I've had multiple doctors look at it and all have said it feels smooth, even, and soft and nothing to worry about. I was worried about lymphoma since it can strike little ones, but I'm taking their advice that it's not thing to be worried about. The fact that it's unchanging is also a good sign to me. Sinister ones get hard and bumpy and grow really fast.

For some reason I can always be more rational about my son than myself!

songbird717
20-08-15, 21:52
My worry with my lymph nodes comes and goes too. I've had 2 of them on one side of my neck for over 6 months now....maybe longer, but that's when I noticed them. One is under 1 cm and one is probably 1.5 cm. My Dr wasn't concerned when she felt them but said to get a blood test and an ultrasound to find out what they were. The blood test came back with the most averagely normal results. My Dr called and said that they were really small lymph nodes that probably never went back down after a cold. She said she wasn't concerned about them at all and if they got really really big, we would re-evaluate. She also said that since they hadn't grown in 6 months, she wasn't really concerned about them growing down the line and that given my blood test, I should stop worrying. Sometimes that makes me feel better, and sometimes I think "but 1.5 cm is bigger than "normal"!" or I feel them to see if they are bigger (which probably will irritate them and make them bigger). It's upsetting that I need to look for something to worry about. I find that my HA flares up when I'm not busy enough or when I'm stressed about other things.