PDA

View Full Version : Nightmares about harm OCD

Ikaeoph
07-04-14, 08:32
Hi, last night I had a nightmare focussed around my terrible fears that I may harm someone. I don't really feel comfortable to say what happened in the nightmare but It was basically me harming people, it was distressing when I woke up and I had a sense of dread and a horrible feeling that I had actually done those things, now I'm getting intrusive thoughts telling me I have done it and when I try to distract myself or think nothing of the thoughts I worry that by ignoring it my mind might somehow put the actions in the nightmare into my memory as though I have done them and weren't just having a bad dream... sorry this is so confusing, can anyone offer some advice?

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-14, 02:40
Reason it out to accept it. If you had done these things wouldn't there be consequences, if I did this to person X why are they perfectly ok now, why are they still alive, why are they speaking to me, why are the ok with me, why are they ok to be with me, etc.

The answers to these questions are unarguable facts.

I guess it might be hard to do that but it seems a common sense method of acceptance that you haven't done anything bad to them.

Ikaeoph
19-04-14, 22:22
Thanks a lot it helped me greatly,sorry I didn't reply sooner my account was glitching

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-14, 00:54
I'm just glad it helped, it's hard to challenge intrusive thoughts.

Have you thought of using something like a thought diary which will contain a column to challenge your thoughts with positive ones? I found a site recently with loads of helpful tools & templates on if you need one.