PDA

View Full Version : worried that im not 'shocked' by thoughts?

ziggybites
07-04-14, 20:32
I have been suffering from intrusive thoughts for about 3 years now since my son was born. They have caused me a lot distress. Sometimes I can easily forget them. My new one i had recently was disturbing and i didnt seem that shocked/upset by it. Now i think because i wasnt 'shocked' that means i agree with it? when i know i dont... has anybody else had this and how did you deal with it?

thanks

Tessar
07-04-14, 21:02
Perhaps it doesn't mean you agree with it. In fact it may be the opposite and you accept it is just a thought & unfounded therefore it is not a threat.
I don't know the basis of any of your intrusive thoughts but I do know I have read many people recommending mindfulness and other techniques allowing the thoughts to sort of be noticed but slip away since they are only thoughts.
It's very good that you have had success in sometimes easily forgetting the thoughts,chis demonstrates that placing your focus where you want it to be is a helpful technique.
It helps me to try and just get on with life rather than concern myself with all sorts of thoughts (some random, some more structured). Only today did I realise that I hd got so "stuck into" my work that I as so focused on that, I'd not given much thought to anything much else today.
In the end I think living life Is so important. Alongside any not such good thoughts..... From a more pleasurable angle, are you able to share good times in watching your son grow up? I'm not a parent myself but I feel sure I can relate to the joys of having children.

Charlotteee89
07-04-14, 23:09
I have this happen to me a lot.

I can go from one obsessive thought to another & then back around again & sometimes they don't always 'shock' me when they come back which like you, worries me which makes me anxious anyway. I think it's due to you just not processing the thought as a danger & so you don't panic over it? You just let it 'pass by' so to speak.

MyNameIsTerry
08-04-14, 01:45
Are these thoughts of a violent or graphically sexual nature?

I would say you should look at types of OCD on OCD UK's website which explain about them.

I'm mostly over violent intrusive thoughts now and maybe the odd one pops into my head. I had one the day about strangling some poor bloke at a bus stop because he turned his back to mr snd I was unravelling my earphones whilst out for a walk. It didnt shock me becausr I know I've had them before and I've learned they are just anxiety, not me.

Thoughts don't equate to actions.

You are not a bad person for being shocked or not. Did you intentional think it? No, so its not your nature.

Mindfulness meditation will help you, it has me. It will help you to let thoughts float around and give you control to pull them back from areas they shouldn't go to. It takes time learn, but can help in some smaller way earlier on. You don't always feel the change at first, things just change.

I've assumed here, which I shouldn't do, but with you saying you should be shocked I would normally assume these types.

Look at that website, especially the part that says OCD sufferers are thd least likely to enact them because you are disgusted by them. Being disgusted originally but not now might be a sign of getting better as you have stopped the anxious reaction...which only serves to reinforce & keep them going.