PDA

View Full Version : Propanolol and breathing problems

Rabbit
09-04-14, 01:22
Hi... this is my first post...

It's past 1am and I can't sleep! Last Thursday I went to see my GP as I had noticed occasional high blood pressure reading amongst the normal ones. She has referred me to a cardiologist but, in order to bring down the BP in the mean time, has prescribed Propanolol (10mg x 3 a day - the lowest dose). I've stuck with the regime so far but have noticed that when I try to lie down and go to sleep it feels like I can't breathe - I mean it feels as though I have to make the effort but that it wouldn't happen on its own (I do suspect it probably would). As I drift off I wake up suddenly in a right panic!

Today I went for a bone scan to see if breast cancer (diagnosed 2009) has returned and spread to my bones; I will get the results on Thursday. I am very anxious, as you might imagine. Has anyone experienced breathing issues on this beta blocker or is it 'just' anxiety?

I would appreciate if anyone has any information to give me in lieu of my returning to the doctor... I don't want to seem like a worry wart :-) I do have an overactive imagination.

Cheers

kdkkd5
27-04-14, 15:37
I have been on propranolol now for almost 5 yrs and I haven't had anything like this I think it could be your anxiety that has kicked in which is causing your breathing problems, I know I struggle with my breathing when my anxiety kicks in.

nomorepanic
27-04-14, 15:50
Beta blockers need to be used with caution with people with such things as asthma so not sure if you have that or not

Catherine S
27-04-14, 16:51
Just about to say what Nicola has already said. I also take them and have heard they are never given to anyone with asthma and when I was on a higher dose a few years ago I would wheeze a bit sometimes when I lay down even though I don't have asthma. I take them to stop my heart going a bit loopy and i'm fine on the lower dose of 10mg 3 times a day. I would ask your doctor about the possible connection with propranolol and your breathing. It could well just be your anxiety, but equally it could be a side effect of the meds. Best wishes for a clear cancer result too by the way. let us know how you get on.

ISB x

AlexandriaUK
27-04-14, 18:06
Maybe because your Dr knows you are a bit anxious that's why she has proscribed propanolol sooner than another med, speak to your Dr about your symptoms which could be anxiety, don't stop taking your tabs though till you have checked with him/her.
Hope your tests all come back fine which I'm sure they will.
You could also ring a pharmacy or nhs helpline if It would help you feel better now.