PDA

View Full Version : Tiredness and anxiety

rchippex
09-04-14, 10:17
So last month I had to go away on a business trip which involved flying. It was a pretty stressful time and I am a very bad flyer which ended in me having a huge anxiety attack 3 days into the trip for the first time in about 3 years. Since then I have noticed that when I get tired I am finding my anxiety is returning.

This week I am again on a business trip however this time I am staying within the UK. I travelled down on Monday and worked yesterday completing 12 hours work. I was pretty tired afterwards but then we had to go out for tea which meant I didnt get back to the B&B for another 2 hours but I felt fine and didnt have any aniety. By this time it was 10pm. I felt I needed some down time before sleeping and so I watched tv for a while and worked on a website I own. I got to bed about 12:30 and woke at 7:00 but I feel like the quality of sleep wasn't the best.

Again as in Spain I find myself having waves on anxiety coming and going. Does anyone else experience this when they are tired despite having gotten over the main symptoms in the past? I never get it when I have had a good nights sleep. It is so annoying particularly as I got over all this many years back to the point where I never had anxiety and quite the opposite. I was totally confident 99% of the time and used to laugh at the symptoms if they ever tried to return. I know it will never overtake me again like it did last time as I have the tools to prevent a full take over but a bit of reassurance always helps. It was only 2 years ago that I spent a lot of time being the one reassuring others that they could get over it! :doh:

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

I hate how frustrating anxiety is, one minute you feel terrible and the next you feel at peace. I am now sat here feeling pretty good and wondering why I worried in the first place. I don't know whether this is down to using the tools I acquired the last time I beat anxiety or not but I feel better for now. I think the issue seems to stem from not being able to control my overthinking when I am tired and it over runs my mind. I seem to suffer more with the obsessive thoughts that try and creep in and make me feel and think a certain way. I just try to welcome them in and see them for what they are but sometimes when tired they can worm their way in and trigger my anxiety.

Oosh
09-04-14, 12:12
Of course, tiredness plays a big part in how I feel. It's immediately noticeable.

I think when you're rested and your nutrition/diet is good and you're properly hydrated etc there is a resilience you have. And a vulnerability when these things aren't right.

You sound like you're doing well. I bet you'll feel resilient again after a good nights sleep.

rchippex
09-04-14, 12:20
Yes I certainly hope so. I think you articulate it well when you describe a level of resilience when the balance is there. My issue is when the tiredness is there the balance is off. Interestingly I can be hungry, cold or any number of things but as soon as tiredness comes into play my resilience takes a large knock. I still have a bit of aniety floating about at the moment but I am just breathing deep and remembering to try and relax. It is frustrating that one trip away last month brought the feelings back after so long. I do think though that the more times we get over it the more equipped we are each subsequent time to rise above it.

Dying_Swan
10-04-14, 10:42
Being tired is one of the biggest anxiety triggers for me. I'm not always good at going to bed at a sensible time, and lately I have been trying to be aware that there is a price I pay for this. I can imagine that being away on a work trip and working such long hours are taking their toll, but you are doing all the right things. I think that being aware of it and accepting it are important. I try to remind myself that yes, I am tired, and yes, I am anxious, but nothing bad is going to happen and I will feel better when I've slept properly.

I hope the rest of your trip goes well and that you get a good night's sleep :)